Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old with hard stomach/pain

Default 3 week old with hard stomach/pain

Hi I am new to the forum and have turned to reading everything I can to get me through the difficult times with breastfeeding. Thank you all for your insight.
    I believe my DS born 2/13 is clusterfeeding but last night he seemed to be in pain and his stomach was very hard and he was wailing and archung and grunting and it was awful.. He does not burp easily but I get up and walk around and try to get 1 burp per feed. I do not always get it.
    From 1-4am he went back and forth from breast to breast for 6-10 minutes each breast (he usually does 10 mins or less on each breast at feedings)
    If he has gas am I making this situation worse by feeding him all the time?
    Whenever I put him on my shoulder for a burp he starts to root again. Today he is feeding every 1-2 hours and I am able to put him down quite easily in the swing He doesn't really spit up alot at all but he does have very forceful farts and poops. I think he passes much of his gas that way instead of burping.
    I believe I have enough Milk as he was born 6/14 and went down to 6/7 after 7days and 1 week later was 7/11. Thanks for any help

Default Re: 3 week old with hard stomach/pain

SOunds like he's doing great, with regard to his weight gain so clearly you have enough milk

If he's in a little pain from ags, that could be the reasons he is rooting still, when you try to burp him because the sucking action may cause the discomfort to dimish a bit.

See if anything from this or this link can help you

What color are his poops? You mentioned they're a bit "explosive" You may be dealing with something called Overactive Letdown. There's more on that here and here.

Keep us posted.
    Last edited by Number3; March 4th, 2008 at 01:08 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you for your quick response. His poops are yellow bordering on neon light orange. Nothing looks green. I know that I generally let down right away when feedings are spaced out. I will try to monitor my letdowns and see if I can see any patterns. Thank you.

My daughter is hard to burp as well and if she isn't burped she is very fussy. Here is my tip for getting your LO to burp. Place baby on your knees and cup his/her face in your hand, the baby should be sitting slightly forward, alternate between patting and rubbing the baby's back in a circular motion until he/she burps.
    Last edited by Piparue; March 4th, 2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: fixed a few typos :P

Quote Originally Posted by Piparue View Post
    My daughter is hard to burp as well and if she isn't burped she is very fussy. Here is my tip for getting your LO to burp. Place baby on you knees and cup his/her face in your hand, the baby should be sitting slightly forward, alternate between patting and rubbing the baby's back in a circular motion until he/she burps.
    That has always been my most favourite way to burp!!!!! (and they look super funny in that position )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    That has always been my most favourite way to burp!!!!! (and they look super funny in that position )
    Its much nicer than getting spit up down the back isn't it? My little stinkers would spit up and completely miss the burp cloth. It would land in the floor or all over my shoulder

My LO used to be (and still is) very hard to burp and therfore she would get gassy. Sometimes it would bother her, I did notice that she would want to nurse more frequently when her belly was gassy. I broke down and used gass drops. Mylocon works great! I also noticed that we went through a spell where it seemed during the week was worse and then weekend was great. So I changed bottles for the DC and the slow nipples on the new bottles were much slower than the old. She wasn't as gassy and didn't go thru as much milk at dc. Also remember that what you eat can affect them, even if it doesn't bother you.

I had to wake that little guy up at 3pm to eat. Now he is going almost 3 hours between feeds and again in the middle of the night he might want to clusterfeed! Oh well. Good thing we love them!
    I tried the burp position suggested and he burped in between breasts and spit up slightly after the second. He has almost gone 2 hours now soundly. I did notice he seemed to bite on my niopple a few times and that may be related to my let down. He used to nurse much longer than he does now.
    Lets see what the next 24 hours brings.