Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding with a fever?

Default Breastfeeding with a fever?

I've been sick the last two days with a stomach bug and last night developed a fever of 101.7. I'm breastfeeding my 6 week old daughter and was worried I might make her ill by breastfeeding so I called her pediatrician for advice. She told me that you can't breastfeed an infant for 24 hours after having a fever over 101. She then told me to giver her formula until I get rid of my fever. Is this true? I read on other internet sites that breastfeeding even while sick will give your baby antibodies against whatever illness you have. I am NOT going to giver her formula but what do I do?

Default Re: Breastfeeding with a fever?

Here's a good article from Kellymom (you prob already saw this): http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html

It should be fine to bf while sick. I've never stopped nursing because of illness. But do take extra care of yourself and drink plenty of fluids. You can get dehydrated extra quickly when you have a high fever. When I was really sick sometimes I'd get lightheaded after nursing and I think it was because I was dehydrated.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I've never heard that you shouldn't breastfeed when you've had a fever.

All these sites agree with what you said- that in most cases you should continue to nurse through a fever so the child gets the antibodies:
    http://www.lpch.org/HealthLibrary/Pa...Questions.html
    http://www.lpch.org/HealthLibrary/Pa...Questions.html
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002452.htm
    http://www.parenting-weblog.com/5022...astfeeding.php
    http://learn.med.yale.edu/ynhhforums...s.asp?QID=1887
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Purpledoggy View Post
    She told me that you can't breastfeed an infant for 24 hours after having a fever over 101. She then told me to giver her formula until I get rid of my fever. Is this true?
    Where do the docs come up with this crazy stuff???

Keep nursing, give your baby antibodies to whatever is making you sick. And take best care of yourself- stay hydrated, rest up as much as possible. I hope you feel better soon!

Sounds like you need to find a new pediatrician. When you are sick is the BEST time to breastfeed your baby as she will get antibodies that will help keep her from getting sick or from getting *as sick. I swear some of these doctors need to be stripped of their licenses since they put stigmas and possibly endorsements from formula companies over the TRUTH and what is right for their patients.

Quote Originally Posted by Piparue View Post

Sounds like you need to find a new pediatrician.

When you are sick is the BEST time to breastfeed your baby as she will get antibodies that will help keep her from getting sick or from getting *as sick. I swear some of these doctors need to be stripped of their licenses since they put stigmas and possibly endorsements from formula companies over the TRUTH and what is right for their patients.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for the quick replies, I was going nuts trying to figure out what to do. This is my first baby and I'm the only one in the family that has breastfed (I love it btw). I don't have anyone around to ask about this and I didn't think the pediatricians advice sounded right.

Glad you found us and good for you listening to that mommy instinct
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Have to agree that is crazy. I had a fever of 106.9 and my doc told me NOT to stope bf cause that was keeping him from getting it. I would continue to bf if I were you.