Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase question

Default Lipase question

I thawed 3 month old BM today to send to the sitters and for the first time noticed a metallic smell. The dreaded lipase issue perhaps? I've used milk this old before and never noticed a problem and DD has never refused it. Do I need to throw out all the frozen stash or is it ok for DD to drink if she doesn't seem to mind the taste/smell?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: Lipase question

If your LO takes it then no worries... however, I'd monitor this more and try some taste tests and scalding to see if you indeed really do have a lipase problem or not. My LO started refusing milk aound 4 months I thought maybe his taste buds were developing more or something like that. I would not freeze an extrodinary amount if you are suspecting you may have a lipase issue. Check out the really long thread for more info. and if you do end up having an issue it just takes a little while to get used to but is not a show stopper - mine's now about 21 months old and still going strong. ;o)

A metallic smell could be from your fridge or from the normal change in fats over time. As long as it doesn't smell really nasty, rotten, way past the expiration date cow's milk, it's perfectly edible for your baby. If baby doesn't mind the off smell or flavor, no worries. She wouldn't eat rotten ebm.

Human milk that has truly soured has a very distinct sour taste and odor - much like soured cow's milk. If your milk doesn't smell distinctly sour or rancid, then it should be safe to give to your baby.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html
    More info in the link connected above.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. LO drank both bottles of thawed milk, along with one fresh, with no problem, so it must not bother her. Thawed two more bags this morning (trying to rotate my stash) and they had the same smell. It's not bad, or particularly strong, but compared to the stuff in the refrigerator, definitely a bit metallic. I'll have to do some testing. I just don't want to trash the stash if I don't have to.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

If she takes it, then I think you are fine!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!