Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Putting up a good fight

Default Putting up a good fight

My 3 week old daughter likes to put her hands up and pinch and get in the way of her latching, which leads me to have to hold her hands back leaving me no extra hand to assist with her latching. It's beginning to get really frustrating considering I'm worried she isn't latching properly anymore. She sort of just sucks my nipple and areola into her mouth instead of opening wide. Since I don't have a free hand to "hamburger" my breast, or a free hand to tease her upper lip or cheek, I feel it's my fault her latching has taken a turn for the worse. I am also a SAHM, so I don't have anyone to help hold her hands while I use my free hand to assist in the latch.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Putting up a good fight

I have larger breast so I would tuck DS' hands under the one I wasn't using. You could also try swaddling her so her hands are wrapped in the blanket. That's all I can come up with. I hope you find something that works soon!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Ah, swaddling. I haven't even thought to try that... her first week home that was how I got her to sleep when she went through her 1-5 hour night crying spurts, swaddle her, put her on the boob and VOILA... she was sound asleep. Now that she is much more alert and much less of a sleepy eater, this might do the trick.

Thanks a bunch, I will post my results after her next feeding.

I was going to suggest swaddling, too. You might be able to do it loosely so she could work her arms free once she is latched on well. You might also try encouraging her to play with something else- like your shirt, a necklace, your hair- to keep her hands out of the way. She may be a little young yet for that to work, though.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

my 4 week old DD is the same way. its almost like i should have written this thread myself
    BUT what i do as well since i have large breasts is shove one of her hand/arms under your breast, and ive managed to kind of use my opp arm/elbow to hold back her other hand WHILE using my hand to move my breast where it needs to be or her head where it needs to be!
    just try differnt things.

Swaddeling for me made it worse because she'd shove her hands right up under her chin makin it more difficult.

good luck hope it works =)

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Alright, swaddling is out. I tried it the last 2 feedings, first time it put her straight to sleep and I couldn't wake her enough for her to even think about latching. Second time she shoved her hands straight out the top which made it even more difficult, just like the previous poster said, haha.

I have large breasts as well, but she is such a fighter that all my previous attempts at keeping her hand/arm under my breast didn't work so well, so I've been putting a finger from the hand that supports her head in her hand for her to grip on to which has been working just fine, but it's the other hand that poses a problem. I hold her in the football/clutch hold since she is rather small and my breasts are rather large... it's the most comfortable position for the both of us. So the hand on top is the one posing a problem.

Thank you all so much for the advice and support, I'm deffinately going to keep trying different things.

Yes, the football hold is what I use, and what works best for me and my LO.

Try to feed her while she is sleepy, she might not put up such a big fight =) maybe right after she wakes, or when you can tell she's sleepy!

good luck and keep trying!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

You can also try a sidelying position to nurse in. Kind of hard to fight when you're lying on one side. You can use your free hands to hold her top hand down while you get her latched on. Hope this makes sense.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!