Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting on Cereal - what "order" to feed?

Question Starting on Cereal - what "order" to feed?

My DD is 5 mths and we fed her cereal last night for the first time...We started off giving her a bottle (bm, I pump exclusively) then half way through we took the bottle away (surprisingly enough she didn't scream!) and fed her some cereal and then finished off with the rest of her bottle. This seemed to work pretty well but I'm sure there will be times when she will not want her bottle taken away from her midway through. Is there a particular order that is "best" when introducing cereal? Should I start with cereal and then give her breastmilk, or start w/ breastmilk and then give her cereal?

Default Re: Starting on Cereal - what "order" to feed?

I have heard that you should always start with breastmilk first. We do and our DS is 7 months onld. He nurses for about 5 min, then i unlatch him and feed him some veggies or fruit till he acts like he's done then we nurse again. this takes quite a while. Dinner for him is like an hour or more. (because he plays with the spoon) But also we didn't start wiith cereal, we started with fruit and veggies made at home.

it's best to give bm first if you ebf. cereal has little nutritional value, so we also opted for veggies first. when we do give her cereal, it's usually either rice cereal mixed in to thicken veggies or fruits, or home-made rice. check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for more.

You should definately always offer breastmilk before solids until baby is at least 11-12 mo. This ensures breastmilk remains the main source of nutrition and that solids do not replace it. It also helps prevent constipation and weight gain issues.

With ds, I always made sure he nursed before solids. I never unlatched him, just let him nurse until he was done. Sometimes this was 5 min before I offered solids, other times it was more like 30-45 min. I always made sure he had nursed within the hour, though. Sometimes, he'd want to nurse again after solids, and that was fine too.

Hi Everyone,

I am finding so much good information in these threads! I am curious though. What do dd and ds stand for?

Thanks!

Dear Son and Dear Daughter