Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: watch baby not calendar

Default watch baby not calendar

Okay, I totally believe in watching baby to see if they are ready for solids, but I really think my 5 month old is ready. We tried an organic oatmeal yesterday and he opened his mouth and loved it! Is this okay then? I know it's a little early but he seems to love it.

What I was thinking of doing is one small feeding at lunch after breastmilk, so his nutrition comes from BM and not cereal. Then nursing the rest of the day. It ends up where he nurses 6-9 times a day and then the one cereal time.

Advice? Thoughts?

I have a fear of early weaning so I want to everything to avoid that, but do think this may work.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: watch baby not calendar

sounds reasonable to me! My LO was the opposite. He wasn't interested until about 11mo.

6 months is just a figure. There is nothing "magical" about 6 months vs. 5 months vs. 7 months, etc.
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

Quote Originally Posted by syn_ack89 View Post

6 months is just a figure. There is nothing "magical" about 6 months vs. 5 months vs. 7 months, etc.
    Actually my understanding is that the latest research out shows that childrens digestive tracts aren't fully developed and therefore not ready solids before the 6months point. Which puts you at greater risk for both long term digestive problems as well as allergies. I'm all for watching the baby and the baby's ques..but I would be leary of taking any extra risks.

Way too lazy for formula

I think the reason they use the 6 month mark is because most baby's digestive tracts are ready for solids by 6 months, meaning some might be ready just before.

I usually encourage people to wait until 6 months, but I don't think 5 months is too early. You could always try it and if baby has tummy problems or if it interferes with nursing, just stop and try again in a month or so.

Of course this is from someone who's baby was 'tasting' solids from 2 days old (thanks grandpa ), so maybe I'm not the best person to be giving advice on it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for the advice! I think i will use the next 4 days as a barometer (sp?) and watch him extra close to see if it interfers with nursing or if his tummy seems upset or overly gassy.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Have you read up on baby led solids? That is the best way to make absolutely certain LO isn't getting anything he isn't ready for.

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

While it's good to be careful, of course, a little cereal should be fine at 5 months. Some babies get it in their bottles at 2 weeks for reflux, etc, at the advice of their pediatricians. Many doctors and the AAP say to wait until 6 months, but many doctors also say to start cereal at 4 months and then other foods at 6 months.
    If he likes it and he doesn't have a bad reaction, I say go for it! Like a pp said, if it doesn't go well, you can always stop for a couple of weeks and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by stacie78 View Post
    While it's good to be careful, of course, a little cereal should be fine at 5 months. Some babies get it in their bottles at 2 weeks for reflux, etc, at the advice of their pediatricians. Many doctors and the AAP say to wait until 6 months, but many doctors also say to start cereal at 4 months and then other foods at 6 months.
    If he likes it and he doesn't have a bad reaction, I say go for it! Like a pp said, if it doesn't go well, you can always stop for a couple of weeks and try again.
    Getting the cereal for reflux is not the same thing at all. Perhaps someone with a child with reflux can chime in on that? I don't have a child with reflux but my understanding is that's for a completely different purpose. One thing that I do know from doing the research is that the reason a child is more prone to allergies is because if their digestive tract is not fully developed and there is any kind of seepage the body attacks it as a foreign object/substance and then when it sees it again later does the same thing. Attacks it as a foreign substance. To me erring on the side of cautious and safe is always best when dealing with issues such as allergies and possible digestive issues. I'm sure there are plenty of babies that have made it through just fine. In the same way that a blouse that says Dry Clean Only have made it through accidental wash cycles in the machine. But there is no doubt that child hood allergies have become almost common place here over the last 15-20 years. While there is no "magic age" as PP mentioned, why take a chance?

Way too lazy for formula