Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone Tandem Nursing with Oversupply?

Question Anyone Tandem Nursing with Oversupply?

Is there anyone else who is tandem nursing with oversupply? My DD is 2 1/2 yrs. & DS is 11 days old. Anyone else in this type of situation? Claire

Default Re: Anyone Tandem Nursing with Oversupply?

Nice to see you!
    I'm sorry to say I can't help with your question, but congrats on the new LO and on tandeming! I'm so happy for you that you had a successful home birth.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hey Molly! Yah, I've been gone awhile. It's nice to see you too. Thank you for the congrats! Claire

Hi,

My LO is almost 6 weeks, my toddler 21 months. At first I had an oversupply issue, but it slowly evened out. I still have plenty of milk, but no engorgement or constantly leaking breasts. Hopefully your supply will even out after another week or two, also. Congrats on your new LO and on tandem nursing!

I actually find my oversupply is easier to manage when I'm tandeming. I was always making enough milk to nurse two anyway.

When DD was little and had a hard time coping with the OALD, I would have DS nurse first for a little bit. He didn't mind at all, as he loved all this new wonderful milk after several months of virtually nothing. As time went on, I assigned my children their own "sides". This was a lot like block-feeding for us, and it brought my supply down to a more normal level a lot faster than when I was block-feeding when DS was a baby.

Thank you for the replies ladies! I have a few questins I will try this weekend to ask. Dealing with mastitis 3rd time in 2 weeks & feeling a bit lousy. Just wanted to thank you for the replies. Claire

I just gave birth to my second son Via VBAC this past saturday, and I have an over abundance of milk, and a hyperactive letdown. I actually find nursing my older son helps with this, now that I'm producing normal milk VS colostrum. I just switched to nursing the toddler first, and then nursing the baby on the same side, this way he gets plenty of hind milk (I had a big problem with a foremilk imbalence with the first) and my let down has slowed, so I'm not choking him with it. My only problem now is nights, since the toddler sleeps through, and I'm waking up either engorged and in pain, or by soaking the bedding. lol, I'm such a

ok, I'm asking about your HBAC. I recently just achieved my first VBAC, and am concidering HBACing the next.