Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and nervous

Red face New and nervous

I am expecting my first (a boy) April 4th. (Although we are thinking he will be making his grand enterance a little earlier). I plan to breastfeed. However, I am extremely nervous. I have not had the opportunity to attend a breastfeeding class...I have done researh and watched videos. I am just so nervous about it. Does anyone have any advice?

Default Re: New and nervous

i was extremely nervous also, mine is now 6 months old & breastfeeding has been the greatest thing ever! just remember, it's the most natural thing & it's meant to happen. this is definitely the forum to be on for any questions & support. i wish i had found it before mine was born! you will do great!!!!!!!!!

Definetely find your local chapter and go to a meeting or a few of them before he is born! Being around nursing moms makes it more "normal" if you haven't ever really been around it, and you can ask any questions you might have. Make sure and exchange some #'s with a few gals to call with any questions once your little guy comes along.

Congratulations and good luck!!

PS - Sleep, sleep, sleep right now! Build up your sleep bank now!

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Congratulations on your coming baby!!

Don't be nervous, you can do it!!! Just keep reading up on it and looking for info. Try to build up your support system now- make sure everyone around you knows that you want to succeed at breastfeeding and you want them on your side!!! It can be difficult at first, which is why it is important to have a support system in place, but it is definitely worth the struggle and it gets so much easier as your child grows.

Stick around here, you can find a wide variety of advice and experience with all kinds of different problems.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Congratulations on your impending arrival and Welcome!!!! When you go to the hospital, definitely tell them you want a lactation consultant right away. This way they'll know to have someone ready for you immediately after the birth. Also bring a big body pillow or nursing pillow. I used my own pillow at first so the baby was surrounded with my scent.

I must tell you those first few times breastfeeding are absolutely amazing when your new bundle looks up into your eyes --as if to say "Thank you." Hard to really describe but I hope you will get to see what I mean.

Good luck!!!
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

I was nervous while pregnant about breastfeeding as well! I became as informed as possible...by reading books, browsing this site, kellymom.com is great too! Also, my biggest lifesaver was the book "Breastfeeding Made Simple". It really came in handy before birth and afterwards. Anytime I had a question I referred to this book for quick answers! Good luck and just remember that breastfeeding is natural and it will work if you really want it too

Congrats on the impending arrival, i was super nervous at first as well esp with my 2nd as i failed to bf the first time, my advice would be Do not let the nurses at the hospital push formula on you, someone here has a link in there signature i think its things i wish id known, if anyone knows who that is or could post that link, i found it super helpful even when i was just trying to get back to basics. You can do it!

Hello, and

Congratulations on your soon to be!

As far as advice goes, you've gotten some great stuff so far! I'd like to add a couple things though.
    Trust in your body! It is very rare that a mom can't breastfeed, there are few instances where that is the case!
    Sleep when baby sleeps! Especially in the early weeks, you'll need to get your rest as well.
    Be adamant in the hospital about no artificial nipples. We made signs for the LO's bassinet saying as such. That way all saw it.
    Continue coming here for support, as well as local meetings if you have them.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Congrats on the soon arrival. It is normal to be nervous. I was and I took bfing classes. Just remember don't watch the clock while feeding, and feed on demand.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Congratulations! Here's what I learned about being a new mama: there's no need to worry in advance of anything, because it turns out you just deal with things as they come, no matter what. You will be just fine!

Even if things don't seem like they are going smoothly in the beginning, hang in there and know that you will get through whatever comes. Sometimes breastfeeding comes very easily, sometimes it's a bit challenging at first, sometimes there are circumstances beyond your control that interfere with the initial efforts, but you have a tremendous support system here (and with your local LLL chapter if you've got one). I would also look into breastfeeding classes and/or new mother support groups that might be offered in your community.

You might also want to look into either a birth or a postpartum doula, or both. They can be an excellent source of one on one support for breastfeeding and much, much more!

Be well, and never hesitate to ask questions!