Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No poop!

Default No poop!

Hi,

DD is 6 months old, and I've been letting her try some solids over the past 3 weeks. She's now taking 1 or 2 meals a day - about 2 tbsp of baby cereal & pureed vege at lunch, and sometimes a bit of cereal & pureed fruit as an evening snack. She is still BF-ing up to 8 times a day (she is quite a comfort nurser, and still doing her night feeds etc), so the solids doesn't seem to have reduced her appetite for BM.

The first week after introduction of solids went quite well, so I started to increase the variety of food. But sometime into the second week, I noticed her poop pattern started to change.

DD has always been quite a frequent pooper - when she was exclusively BF, she would poop 1 to 2 times a day, nice yellow/ slightly watery poop. But two weeks into solids, she started pooping once every 2 days, and her poop has become more solid/ smelly (which is normal). She is generally not constipated (ie. poop was still soft, not pellet-y), and doesn't seem to be in major discomfort, although she does pass gas alot (stinky!).

I'm concerned about how infrequent her poop has become. In fact, today will be Day 4 since her last bowel movement! She is usually quite responsive to the potty, and if she needs to, she will poop on the potty after a little encouragement. But these past few days, she just keep fidgeting to be "let off" the potty whenever we try to get her to poop.

I know BF babies can go for quite long without a bowel movement, but given DD's usual pattern of frequent poops, and the fact that this should happen AFTER introduction of solids is quite puzzling - I would have thought she would have more poop/ waste matter after solids. I've tried to reduce her solid portions (not very much to begin with), and make her take more BM, but still no change :P

Appreciate it if you could share your experience with bowel movement changes with solids introduction + breast milk?

Thanks!

Default Re: No poop!

I would cut out the cereal and just give fruits and veggies untill she goes again regular and then slowy add the cereal back.
    good luck!

I agree to cut back on the cereal. Seems a bit much and could constipate her. Give baby pureed fruit that will help her go like prunes or pears. Works like a charm with my dd.

One more thing. Be careful with bananas becasue they are binding.

my DS doesn't eat cereal and he poops maybe 2 x's a week (7 months old) he only has like one meal a day maybe 2 tbsp of veggies or fruit. But I do also notice when he eats bannanas he poops a lot less. and yes prunes work great !!!