Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: instant oatmeal

Default instant oatmeal

i hate having to buy special cereal for DS so we don't. But when I eat my oatmeal inthe morning i would love to give him a bite. We buy Mccanns intant irish otameal. can he eat this? he's 7 months old

Default Re: instant oatmeal

i'd try grinding it into a powder before cooking. make sure the sodium and sugar content isn't too high.

www.wholesomebabyfood.com doesn't recommend instant oatmeal, but you can give it a try. i'd opt for an organic variety.

What are the ingredients? I would want to avoid it if it contains a lot of sugar, salt, artificial falvours/colours, or preservaties. None of that is good for babies. Why not make real old fassioned oatmeal from rolled oats? That way, you know exactly what's going into your baby. Either way, definately avoid the milk (unless you're using breastmilk on his! ); cow milk should not be given to babies under 12 mo as there is a very high alergy risk and it can cause bleeding in the intestines which can lead to anemia.

no i never use milk in my oat meal. I will griind it I think. We bought the McCanns because it seemed organic, But I'll have to look at it again Unfortunately I threw away the box.

Looks organic from what their website says: http://www.mccanns.ie/index.html