Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping question

Default Pumping question

Hello ladies, I need your advice. My son will be 3 weeks this Friday and I have to go back to school next Monday. When is the best time to pump and how much should I pump for 1-2 feedings per day? I have all the signs of oversupply and my little boy has green poop, painful gas, and nurses every 30-45 minutes. Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Pumping question

I have found that the easiest and most convenient time to pump is while my son is nursing. As he is on one breast I am pumping the other. I say easiest because with him there the let-down is faster and more frequent. Convenient in the sense that I have to breastfeed anyway so this is killing two birds with one stone.

Chrislix

Default Re: Pumping question

Hi,

Can you tell me more about your school schedule? The best time to pump is while you are separated from your baby, at times when he would normally be nursing. For someone who is experiencing oversupply, pumping extra to have a "freezer stash" is usually not recommended, as this extra pumping can make oversupply even worse.

You might need to experiment a bit to see what works best for you with regard to pumping. Some oversupplied mothers find it works best for them to pump only one breast at a time. As long as you are able to pump enough to meet babies needs, this is usually a good strategy. Others find hand expression works best for them. Many oversupplied moms find hand expression to be easy for them, and it doesn't exaserbate oversupply as pumping sometimes can.

Does that answer your question?

Best Wishes to you,

Tiana