Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trouble nursing... but I don't want to quit!

Default Trouble nursing... but I don't want to quit!

I'm having a lot of trouble with nursing my 9 week old baby... off and on she's been really really fussy at the breast. Sometimes she feeds really well, not unlatching at all, getting a lot of milk. Other times she'll latch and unlatch 10 or 15 times per side in one feeding. She unlatches and screams and cries, she also kicks and punches and claws. I try burping her, thinking maybe it's gas and switch her sides thinking that maybe she wants another letdown, but nothing seems to help.
    As a consequence, my nipples have become very cracked and sore, bringing me to tears sometimes. I use the lanisoh on my nipples, but sometimes they're so bad that the breast pads actually stick to them and I have to rip them off!
    I don't want to stop breastfeeding, because I believe that it is the best thing for me and my baby, but I also don't think it's healthy for me to hate the process of breastfeeding. When she eats well, I love it... it's the greatest gift! When she eats poorly, it's all I can do not to put her down and let her go hungry!
    Does anyone have any suggestions that can help? At this point I'll try anything...

Default Re: Trouble nursing... but I don't want to quit!

She is 9weeks old. You can't expect her to know everything. Your body has to adjust as well as hers. It takes time get BF going well. Initially there will be lot of issues. Both of you will overcome it soon. Dont give up.

When she cries and unlatches during feeds it could be because the force is too much for her to handle. Do you feel very heavy before feeds? If so hold her in a different position so she is not gulping down milk. Try various positions and see what works best.

I used mother's love nipple creme. It worked very well. It is available in wholefoods store. Dont use pads unless you absolutely have to. Keep it dry & let it heal by exposing it to air.
    Last edited by veenasri; March 3rd, 2008 at 08:38 PM.

I'm sorry you're having problems. It sounds like you might have Overactive Letdown(oald) where your letdown is more forceful then she can handle. I had this and we were able to solve it with blockfeeding. Here is a link to a good article, you'd be able to tell better if this sounds like your situation. If that doesn't sound accurate it could be that she has reflux, here is another article about that.

As for the sore nipples, I have so been there, done that I haven't tried this myself since I just heard about it a few weeks ago, but someone said tea bags help. You just get them really wet and place them on your nipples next to your breast pad. I know this trick works for a toothache so I guess nipple pain isn't a far stretch.

I don't know what else it might be but I'm sure someone with more experience then me will help you. It's hard mama, but keep the faith that you'll both get through it and get back to the good part of BFing.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

So sorry to hear you've been having trouble! You must feel so frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by abbysmommy View Post
    I'm having a lot of trouble with nursing my 9 week old baby... off and on she's been really really fussy at the breast. Sometimes she feeds really well, not unlatching at all, getting a lot of milk. Other times she'll latch and unlatch 10 or 15 times per side in one feeding. She unlatches and screams and cries, she also kicks and punches and claws. I try burping her, thinking maybe it's gas and switch her sides thinking that maybe she wants another letdown, but nothing seems to help.
    Is there any pattern to the times that you're having trouble? Is it at a particular time of day? How long has this been going on?

Look here for some ideas:

My baby fusses or cries during nursing-- what's the problem?. There are a bunch of possible reasons listed.

As a consequence, my nipples have become very cracked and sore, bringing me to tears sometimes. I use the lanisoh on my nipples, but sometimes they're so bad that the breast pads actually stick to them and I have to rip them off!
    Oh no, that is awful! One thing that can cause problems with both baby's nursing behavior (i.e. pulling off) and a mother's nipples is thrush. Even if there aren't white spots in the baby's mouth, sometimes mothers can still have it. I would say check these two links:

Could We Have Thrush?
    Healing Tips for Cracked Nipples & Abrasions
    Treatments for Sore Nipples

I did not find lanolin to be particularly helpful. One thing that did give me immediate relief when my nipples were sore were those hydrogel patches. They would also prevent the breast pads from sticking to you-- ouch!!

Also another thing that can cause pain is if the latch isn't quite right. Have you had pain since the beginning, or is this something that's developed recently?

I've totally been there-- dreading every feeding and gritting my teeth the whole time. It's not normal or the way things should go. Would you be interested in trying to get in contact with a LLL leader in your area? Or an IBCLC? Here are some resources for help:

Find a Lactation Consultant in Your Area
    Find a La Leche League Leader or Group Near You
    Last edited by Google316; March 3rd, 2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: oops
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Double post sorry!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.