Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I need to switch nipples?

Default Do I need to switch nipples?

I've been back at work for 1 mth, and DS still hates to take a bottle! He is 5 mths old, and I only work away from the home 1 day/week, and get to stay home and nurse him the other two. We didn't worry about the bottle since he drank like a champ all the times we gave it to him before (as recent as 1 week before I returned to work!)

Now, he cries when offered the bottle and gets angry. Today, the nanny decided to cut larger holes in the bottle, and he was less angry. But now I wonder if the holes are TOO large. (I tried diff types of nipples..medela, nuk, and Avent, all slow flow.)

So what to do? Let her use the modified nipples, and not worry about it since its only 1 day/week? Or is this a bad idea? Should I look for faster flow nipples? If so, any suggestions on brands?

Thanks!

Laura

Default Re: Do I need to switch nipples?

I would definitely not let her use the modified nipples. A faster flow can cause problems with flow preference.

How many hours are you away from him at a time? Many babies can adjust to not taking bottles while their mom is away, and just make up for it with more nursing later.

You could also have her try cup feeding. Kellymom covers alternate feeding methods in detail: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html
    Additional options for older babies (4+ months)
    After 4-6 months, there is really no need to introduce a bottle -- babies this age can generally handle a cup just fine (expect to help out in the beginning, though). If you need to, try different types of cups to see what works best for you and baby: regular cup (try different sizes), sippy cup, no-spill sippy cup, cup with straw (or a cup with a built-in straw), and sports bottle are all options that different babies use.

Occasionally a baby will refuse to drink from any type of cup or bottle. In this case, try feeding baby breastmilk with a spoon, dropper or syringe. If baby has started solids, mix the solids with lots of breastmilk. You might also try a momsicle, ice cream, yogurt or a smoothie made with breastmilk.

Introducing a sippy cup by Paula Yount
    Momsicles - Frozen Breastmilk On A Stick by Paula Yount
    Breastmilk recipes
    HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Hi there,

On the day that I'm gone, I'm away almost 10 hrs so he misses 3 feedings. I purchased a bunch of diff sippy cups to use, but he spits a lot of the liquid out. I think she is uncomfortable w/ him not eating, but I'm okay.

I'd still be willing to try a faster flow nipple. We are still using slow flow, and I know I had a pretty strong let down when he was younger...he would gag and choke, and the milk would spray. It seems to have worked out now, but I still may have a fast let-down. He only nurses for around 5 minutes.

So how about a med flow nipple?

It is totally your decision to make, but I just can't bring myself to tell you to use an even slightly faster flow nipple. I just think you run the risk of more issues, like overfeeding and not being able to pump enough. Whatever you decide to do, consider reviewing this handout with your nanny to try to minimize the possible side-effects of the bottle: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...le_feeding.pdf

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.