Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: chickenpox

Default chickenpox

Hi, all!

So, I think my toddler has the chicken pox. We were exposed un-knowingly two weeks ago and now she has spots and is cranky. I am concerned for the lo in the house, less than three months old. He has be sick with colds, etc since he had RSV at six weeks. We can't seem to keep the household well this season. (Everybody around this area has been sick.) What do you think? Will he be able to handle the pox even while he is sick? My toddler has held up well as far as colds go, so I think that she will be fine. I mean, I had the chicken pox when I was young. But ds has a terrible cough and cold and mild fever off and on. I just want everything to be okay with the two of them. I am really worried. I will let you know if it really is chicken pox or not. Thanks.
    It's a worth while life--and a happy one, too!

Default Re: chickenpox

We recently had CP here too. My 3 youngest all had them. Your baby may not get them. The twins were exposed 5 times while they were nursing (around 9-15 mos) and did not get them - until this time after weaning. You LO should be okay, just keep a close eye.

Good luck, and for the toddler, I recommend oatmeal baths. Mine loved oatmeal in a sock in the tub - they rubbed it all over themselves.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Ohh not fun. I would probably call the dr. since any sort of illness that young scares the bejeezes out of me. I hope your immunity will protect your baby but other then that I'm always a fan of getting cp done and over with young so your older one doesn't have to deal with it again. I hope everything goes as well as it can! to you all.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I think that typically the younger they are when they get chicken pox, the milder it is. I was around 8 when I caught the chicken pox, and I was horribly sick with it - and absolutely covered in spots. However, my youngest sister was around 3 months and I think that she had one or two spots, and didn't get sick at all. It obviously was enough to give her lifelong immunity, too, because she hasn't caught it again. I hope that your little ones get well soon!!

The Breastfeeding Answer Book (2003) pg 535 says in part:
    If the mother has previously had chickenpox herself, the risk of the newborn catching chickenpox is greatly reduced.
    I HAVE A NEWBORN AND MY OLDER CHILD WAS JUST EXPOSED TO CHICKENPOX, OR JUST BROKE OUT WITH CHICKENPOX. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

If your older child was exposed, then try and keep the baby away from him during the 7 to 21 day period after exposure. This may be tough, but it's important. Breastfeeding will help provide your baby with some immunity. If your older one breaks out in chickenpox, then just quarantine him until no longer contagious as above. If your newborn infant was exposed before you knew the situation, there is really no way to prevent the illness, yet most likely your newborn carries your immunity to chickenpox.
    Source: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083400.asp (non-LLL resource)

HTH!

You all were very helpful and encouraging! And we woke up this morning to find all of the spots on DD's torso have disappeared! Strange, but wonderful! I feel kind of silly now, but am glad to have the scare over with. I wonder what the spots were...
    It's a worth while life--and a happy one, too!

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Clare just had Roseola and I thought it may have been chickenpox at first too.
    Just a thought.

Roseola is going around in ohio..
    one of the little ones at our church had it..
    moms not sure were it came from as she didn't know anybody who had it...

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    You all were very helpful and encouraging! And we woke up this morning to find all of the spots on DD's torso have disappeared! Strange, but wonderful! I feel kind of silly now, but am glad to have the scare over with. I wonder what the spots were...
    My 3 littles had CP - the oldest had 10 spots on her chest but the next morning they were gone. I felt silly too

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here