Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I quit block feeding because I can't sleep! buuutt...now we're back to screaming...

Default I quit block feeding because I can't sleep! buuutt...now we're back to screaming...

I started block feeding because I have OALD and an oversupply. However, after about 2 weeks of that, I was exhausted because my DD (4 mo. old) wasn't getting a full feeding and I was up every 1.5 hrs with her @ night - and I work full-time.

After I stopped block feeding she was sleeping longer @ night (3-4 hr stretches)- but now we're back to the screaming when she eats.

Is there anything else I can do? Can I block feed during the early evening and then feed her "regularly" during the night to keep her asleep longer?

I hate the unhappiness but I also hate not being able to sleep at all...

Is there any compromise?

Default Re: I quit block feeding because I can't sleep! buuutt...now we're back to screaming.

Tell me more about how the block feeding went for you, and what caused you to feel like it wasn't working.

Default Re: I quit block feeding because I can't sleep! buuutt...now we're back to screaming.

Im brand new here. I have only been nursing for 2 weeks. Could someone explain to be what block feeding vs "regular feeding" is? I have never heard of it!

Block feeding is when a mother attempts to reduce her milk supply by nursing off one side two or more times in a row. Normally a mother finishes off one breast and then moves to the next side.

Ok got ya. I am nirsing one side a feeding but changing each feeding. So that wont reduce will it?

Sorry didn't mean to steal your thread!

Not typically. You would need to allow a protein in milk called the feedback Inhibitor of Lactation (more detail here) build up before you really saw a reduction in milk supply. So by draining the breast at fairly regular amounts of time (every hour to two or so hours) you don't do this. Block feeding (blocks of time thus the name) skips a feed on one side so you allow the breast to essentially remain full for a longer time, and the FIL builds up and reduces milk production a little.

Are you having supply difficulties?

No, Im just in week 2 and dont want to run low in this touchy time.

As I type that I let down and had to go put on the bra and pads lol

just send me a private messege if you have any questions mama.