Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come???

Default How come???

I can pump my brains out and still only get 2 ounces in addition to exclusive bfing, and my friend (also exclusive bfing) can sit down and get 5 ounces on each side???? That's not fair??? Does that mean that I don't have enough milk?

Default Re: How come???

It certainly doesn't mean you have a low supply. Are you having a letdown?
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

It could be many things causing low output. It could be your pump or the size of your horns, the age of your baby, the time of day you were pumping. I never was able to pump a lot either, I think some women don't respond well to the pump, though it doesn't necessarily mean that your baby doesn't get enough when s/he is nursing becasue babies are much better at emptying the breast than the pump is. The amount that you pump does not reflect the amount of milk you are making.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here with some advice to increase your output if that's what you'd like to do. As I said, I never was able to pump enough to see my daughter through the next day at day care, but we are still nursing at almost 17 months, so you can still nurse even if you can't pump much.

hth
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It might mean she has conditioned her body to have more let downs. Possibly she always had an over supply. It's hard to go through the labor of pumping when someone you know seems to have an effortless time.
    Do have concerns about the amount of milk you are able to get? Have you tried increasing the amount of time pumping, increasing the frequency , or power pumping?

What do you mean by power pumping? I have an initial let down, but that's the only one I get... sometimes (rarely) I have two... but that's only happened maybe twice. I usually get an ounce on each side (which is much more than the last time I bf (two years ago), but it still takes at least two pumping sessions to get enough for one bottle. The problem with pumping more often is finding the time to do it... with an infant and toddler at home, I have a hard time finding a quite minute (or loud for that matter) to pump regularly.

I used to have luck getting a second letdown by pumping really quickly (I used a manual pump, but I think most electric ones have a speed control) for a whole minute, sometimes two- just pumping really really fast the whole time without stopping. It almost always got me a second letdown and upped my output by about an oz per side.

Also, sometimes drinking really cold water helped me have a letdown.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by mum2girlz View Post
    What do you mean by power pumping? I have an initial let down, but that's the only one I get... sometimes (rarely) I have two... but that's only happened maybe twice. I usually get an ounce on each side (which is much more than the last time I bf (two years ago), but it still takes at least two pumping sessions to get enough for one bottle. The problem with pumping more often is finding the time to do it... with an infant and toddler at home, I have a hard time finding a quite minute (or loud for that matter) to pump regularly.
    Power pumping is when you pump, once you get done spraying you stop for about 10 minutes and then hook up and pump again. When I first started pumping I only got one letdown never more. Now I can get 3 at a time, ussually. Power pumping really helped me. I only do it once a day, but I do it every day.

You know I just double checked, and read that you are bf full time and pumping. 2 ounces on top of bf regularly is really quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    You know I just double checked, and read that you are bf full time and pumping. 2 ounces on top of bf regularly is really quite good.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I have never heard of power pumping. I'll try that. How long after you bf do you typically pump? I usually wait about an hour... that way I know that I'll be ready to let down again, but it's enough time before she's ready to eat again.