Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping fine one day, practically gone 2 days later.

Default pumping fine one day, practically gone 2 days later.

Hello,
    I'm at a loss! my baby is almost 4 months old... EBF since he was born. I was a champion pumper because it took me 3 weeks to get him to latch. I work part time and went back when he was 6 weeks.

last tuesday i got home from work and when i normally get 5 ounces i only got 3. I thought it was just for that day, but wednesday i got even less. i pump before work and after. i haven't worked since wednesday.. i have been pumping and nursing for 5 days straight sometimes getting less than an ounce. (used to get 5 off one breast and 3.5 of the other) i started fenugreek on sat (not really helping yet).

it seems i'm having difficulty with the letdown on a pump, and even sometimes with the baby. he seems ok, but i can tell he is not as satisfied after eating because he has to do it again so quickly.

i have been a little sick, but i've been drinking over 60 ounces of fluids a day.

has this ever happened to anyone??! what else can i do.. i've been hooked onto sometime for 5 days! to no avail!

thanks.

Default Re: pumping fine one day, practically gone 2 days later.

I find that about once a month this happens to me, and last month it was when I got my 1st period! So I am assuming they are related, keep up with the water and I am sure you will be back to normal in a few days! just make sure to keep up (if not increase) your frequency! Hopfully yours is temporary like mine!

HTH
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

I found some good info that helped me get my milk flowing again after a dry spell. Check out the Shimmee.

What kind of pump are you using? I also had problems related to my period. I didn't recognize it for months but it was very cyclical, and as soon as my period actually came back, I realized that it had been happening around that time every 4 weeks or so.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Could be that your pump parts are worn out. If there is not a good seal around the little flaps (I can't remember the name for them...gah!), then you will not get good suction. See if you have replacements and if not you could probably get from an LC. Good luck!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Thanks everyone.

i use a medela pump in style. i don't know if the membranes are worn out because the nipples are still being drawn out by the suction. Could the nipples still be drawn out and the membranes need to be replaced?!

I'm concerned if it is related to my period because i have an IUD and may not get a real period. I have had no problems since i got it until now.

thanks for all the advice, unfortunately this is stressing me out which i think is only making matters worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jlk51496 View Post
    I find that about once a month this happens to me, and last month it was when I got my 1st period! So I am assuming they are related, keep up with the water and I am sure you will be back to normal in a few days! just make sure to keep up (if not increase) your frequency! Hopfully yours is temporary like mine!

HTH
    This happened to me.
    However, not sure how IUD effects menstration. Could just be monthly hormonal changes.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmama11 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

i use a medela pump in style. i don't know if the membranes are worn out because the nipples are still being drawn out by the suction. Could the nipples still be drawn out and the membranes need to be replaced?!

I'm concerned if it is related to my period because i have an IUD and may not get a real period. I have had no problems since i got it until now.

thanks for all the advice, unfortunately this is stressing me out which i think is only making matters worse.

It is worth changing them out to see if it helps.

Hang on, mama. You can do this!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by dinkey98 View Post
    However, not sure how IUD effects menstration. Could just be monthly hormonal changes.
    I was getting this before I got my period, It was more what was going on inside my body every month than the actual period!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!