Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old sometimes refusing to nurse, but will accept bottle

Default 3 week old sometimes refusing to nurse, but will accept bottle

I find this a little upsetting. My 3 week old sometimes refuses the breast in favor of the bottle. Particularly in the morning. (he will sometimes refuse the bottle for the breast too, but that's usually after refusing the breast, so I make him a bottle and then he'll reject that after a swig). Any tips on getting him off the bottle?

thank you!

edited to add: he was born at 35 weeks 6 days, and nursed okay but not well enough to avoid bilirubin. So I supplemented with formula so he'd at least eat and his count got better. (also sought out homeopathic treatment.) Then he got thrush, so I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it.
    Last edited by CuddleBear; July 10th, 2006 at 05:14 AM.

Default Re: 3 week old sometimes refusing to nurse, but will accept bottle

There's a good article on kellymom about refusing to nurse:
    Help -- My Baby Won't Nurse!

Let us know how it goes or if you have other questions...

HTH!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

this is good link.
    don't be afraid to call your local lll leader and talk to her..
    is it possiable that your breast are just extra full and its hard for the baby to get a good latch? You can pump a little or hand express untill the let down and then try and latch the baby on. Were you treated for thrush also?
    if not you could be passing it back and forth.

checking out the links.

as for being over full. No, it's not that. And it's primarily in the early morning that he seems to refuse the most. After that though, he refused the bottle in favor of nursing. It's just odd.

It has gotten better, because when he was super sleepy due to bilirubin I could only get him to take the bottle.

Honestly, throw the bottles in the trash. During the first four months introducing bottles just interferes with establishing a good breastfeeding relationship.
    Don't try to push baby onto the breast. If he is resisting just lay skin to skin where he can see and smell the breast. Express a little milk and allow him time to come to the breast. If you or baby are frustrated try to comfort baby in other ways and try again after a bit.

momuvseven