Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I had to feed her formula:(

Default Re: I had to feed her formula:(

I tried frozen mommy pops in a mesh feeder for teething and it was like magic!

She just did it again and I compressed my breast to see if I had any and I sprayed across the room so I do have milk, she did something very unusual last night too. She usually goes to bed nursing but when I got her close to my breast she screamed my DH finally calmed her down, we tried again and she screamed again. So we went to the store to buy formula so she would have something and when we got home we wanted to try one more time and she nursed and fell to sleep. Could it be gas? This all started when I introduced solids, but decided not to give her anymore about 3 days ago because I am trying to eliminate anything new. But when I did give her solids it was maybe every 3 days, nothing consistent. I really did not want to start any but the Ped. wanted us to because she is gaining weight a little too much on the slow side of things.

Leah 10/11/07

I might consider pumping my milk and giving that. During teething the action of massaging out the milk in the breast can become painful (for some babies). Pumping will also keep up your supply, every time you supp without pumping you are missing the cue to make more milk.

*This has the feel of a nursing strike, They are temporary.

but will a nursing stike last 3 weeks? my dd is stubborn, but three weeks seems like a very long time. I do own a pump but unless i am very full i do not respond well to it maybe .5-1oz. every 1/2 hr. so not enough to satisfy her. She has always been very gassy and when i press her tummy she cries, but gas is nothing new to us.

Leah 10/11/07

Quote Originally Posted by relactatingmomforthelord View Post
    I have to wonder if your little girl might be a touch sick. I had a son who would get "symptom free" ear infections. He would get fussy and not eat well, but not run a fever or any other "symptom." Could she have fluid on her ears or an earache?
    I agree with this post. My son did the same thing, took him to the ped and he had BAD double ear infections. Keep your chin up, this too shall pass.

Is she around 6 or so weeks old? This is the period of time you can expect extra gas faces and the whole gassy baby thing. They need to learn the physiological processes of expelling gas (and poop) and tend to over exert,they can pop off the breast and act fussy. Read the gastro colic reflex here: http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=41

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Is she around 6 or so weeks old? This is the period of time you can expect extra gas faces and the whole gassy baby thing. They need to learn the physiological processes of expelling gas (and poop) and tend to over exert,they can pop off the breast and act fussy. Read the gastro colic reflex here: http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=41
    no, she is 5 months old.

Leah 10/11/07

It is certainly possible that your little one is having a bad reaction to some solid foods you are feeding her, especially if she has always been a little gassy, as you say. What kinds of solids have you been feeding her? How much/how often? If you have eliminated solids, your baby should start to become more comfortable again in a few days, but it could take as long as two weeks for any allergens to completely leave her system.

Introducing solids is not usually an effective way to increase baby's weight gain. Breastfed babies naturally "thin out" and don't gain as quickly once they become mobile. Your milk is still the most nutrient dense food available for your baby. No other food has more calories per ounce--not formula, not solids. As long as baby is not losing weight, and is otherwise healthy, active, and alert, a decrease in the rate of weight gain at around the half-year mark is considered normal.

HTH. Hang in there,

Tiana

ETA: It is possible for a nursing strike to last 3 weeks, especially if it is due to baby's discomfort, whether it be teething, illness, or allergies.
    Last edited by LLLTiana; March 3rd, 2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added info

This sounds like it could be a sign of an ear infection or OALD but I am really here just to offer a Keep up the good work! You are trying to get to the bottom of it and that is more than half the battle! Commend yourself for not giving up!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Could it be a growth spurt, but she is just impatiant?

Leah 10/11/07