Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frequent night nursing and pumping

Default frequent night nursing and pumping

DS is 8 months old, and he nurses frequently throughout the night (at least three or four times). I try to switch sides as best I can remember in my sleep. Now, if I try to pump in the morning I am only able to get about 1.5 ounces from one side (when I have gotten 4-5 in the past). I only pump from the side from which he did not nurse last. Can his frequent night nursing make my milk supply very low in the morning?

Thanks,
    Jamie

Default Re: frequent night nursing and pumping

Hi Jamie! Question for you. Has he just started nursing a lot at night?
    His frequent night nursing is probably not making your supply low, in fact we tend to see that frequent nursing increases your supply.
    If he used to sleep the whole night and then you'd pump I can see how you'd get much less.
    Is this something that you can wait a week or two and see how it goes?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Yes, he has upped his night nursing in the past few weeks. He used to sleep at least one 5 hour stretch per night, but now the most we really get is 3.5 hours. (I think it is teething combined with some milestones he is trying to hit.) I only pump occasionally just to build up a supply in the freezer for emergency use. I would like to pump once/day or once every other day so that I can store some milk, and the morning was always the best time to pump in the past. I don't want to jump to conclusions about having too low a supply because I had a significant oversupply shortly after he was born due to lots of pumping.

Thanks,
    Jamie

Oh, and thanks for the welcome. I have been going to meetings at my local chapter since I was pregnant, and actually finally joined LLL last month!! Yeah!

Your welcome, we are glad to have you!

I agree that I don't think this is a supply issue per say, it's possible that something else is causing it (like getting your period back, or starting hormonal birth control) but most likely it's the teething and milestones.
    If your comfortable with it, just keep doing what your doing since morning has been a good time for you to pump. There are ebbs and flows to pumping, you may find that it goes back up as quickly as it went down.
    Sometimes this stuff happens and we just don't know.

Keep us updated if you feel like there are any changes!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!