Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need your advice please

Default I need your advice please

I just signed up tonight and I'm sorry for the cross-post, but I wasn't sure where this should go.

Hello everyone! I apologize that this is long but I need some help and I'm very nervous!!!

I have a beautiful daughter who will be 10 months old this week. I exclusively breastfed her for the first 6 months. At 6 months we started cereal and we've worked our way up to real food (puree's). She gets 3 meals a day (typically a combo of cereal and fruit for breakfast, fruit and a veggie for lunch, and a meat like chicken and rice, a veggie, and a fruit for dinner). Sometimes she'll have a 4th meal if she seems hungry. Currently I nurse on demand and since I've been a stay at home mom, this has not been a problem for me. I used to pump, but I stopped because I no longer had the need (supply was good and I was always with my baby).

The problem: I start a new job tomorrow. I am very nervous because this will be the 1st time away from daughter for such a long period of time!!! My shift is 12 (noon) to 9 pm. I only work about 15 minutes away. I tried to pump some milk today while I nursed her so she could have some tomorrow, but I couldn't get any to come out. (This was my first time trying to pump in a few months) I have a hand pump that works really well (before I had a hospital grade pump that worked wonders!) I tried again later and only got about an ounce. I don't know why I couldn't express the milk, other than the fact that my daughter kept trying to grab the pump (I was nursing on one side and pumping on the other). I could feel the milk and hear her swallowing on the side she nursed on so I know I was making the milk and she was getting it, it just wasn't coming out. I have some Fenugreek that I have taken and I can start back if needed.

I don't think my issue is my supply, but I don't know why I could only pump an ounce. My biggest concern is trying to figure out how to pump at work. I'll get an hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks. Initially I thought I could pump on each of my 15 minute breaks and go home and have lunch and see my daughter (and nurse of course) on my hour break (I live 15 mins or less from my job). I realized tonight that won't work because my lunch break will be during 4-5 o'clock traffic and I'll never make it back to work on time. Any advice? I think if I nurse her a few times at night before bed and a few times in the AM she'll be ok with just one nursing between 12-9. (For example if she nurses 11 am, lunch at 1 or 2, nurse at 4, dinner at 6 or 7, nurse at 9:15) Do you think this is ok? How can I pump at work? If they give me access to a private room to pump, where would I store the milk?

I'm really freaking out...please help me!

Default Re: I need your advice please

i have a few thoughts...

i have been pumping since september at work. the first thing i thought of when reading, was i haven't ever really gotten much from hand pumping. i have a medela pis. even so, i won't get as much out when pumping as i know my son can get out when he's nursing! it may take me two sessions of pumping to get what he'd get if he were nursing. so i agree with you, you probably are not having a supply issue. for pumping at work, it's great there is a private room for you, i would hang a sign on the door so you have that privacy. my work has a fridge but you can always store in a cooler bag with ice packs if you have to. i have seen little mini-fridges though that could be worth investing if you're going to do this awhile? it sounds like you will have a pretty good set-up. be reassured, i can only pump once at work and i've managed, so you can do it! (i pump before i leave and then at night while lo sleeps to make up the difference)
    that does stink about traffic. i would love to be able to manage that. are you sure it's not possible? maybe try a practice run at it? could you shave 5 minutes off each break and add an extra 10 to the lunch if you explained the situation? or could whoever is watching your lo meet you somewhere half-way? just some ideas!
    good luck!!!

When you are away from your LO you should be able to pump more. I agree w/ the pp. I would see if someone could meet you at work so you could nurse or if they would let you shave time off your breaks to have a longer lunch or could you move your lunch break a half hour up or back to make a difference in your traffic situation.
    Maybe explain you may need the extra accommodations for a short while until you get adjusted if you feel comfortable doing that. You may need to come equipped with the advantages of nursing from the employers point of view i.e. less sickness in baby = less loss of work time from you.

Thanks everyone!!! Today went so well I couldn't wait to get home to tell you all! I was so worked up and stressed last night I couldn't sleep. I prayed for peace because I knew that I would miss my baby terribly. This morning went well, but I was nervous. Between pumping twice last night and once this morning, I was able to get 3.5 oz's for my daughter while I was gone. I printed two pictures of her to look at while at work and I was on my way.

I love my new job!!! I found out I have a shift I like (off weekends) and I get a dollar extra an hour. But are you ready for this??? I talked to HR to let her know I was nursing and would need somewhere to pump. All night I had thought about me in some dark musty room pumping in fear of someone busting in. I thought about my co-workers looking with disdain as I put my breast milk in the fridge next to their tuna fish sandwhiches and their sodas they packed for lunch. I even thought of some sicko taking my milk or doing something to it. ( I have a vivid imagination) Well when I told HR she said, "Oh we have a room for that. Let me show you where it is." She took me to a little room and my eyes watered up! It looks like a little nursery. It had Winnie the Pooh wall paper and a little changing table, a Winnie the Pooh blanket, some wipes. It had a little chair and a fridge to put the milk in. It even had a little sign that sign Privacy please or something like that to put on the door. I was so happy I was speechless. I didn't cry then, but I'm crying now just thinking about it. I was so worried about leaving my baby, but God answered my prayers and that little room will be the perfect place to provide for my baby while at work.

Thank you for reading

that is wonderful that it worked out so well! keep up the great work momma!