Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD/green poo/gassy

Question OALD/green poo/gassy

I have had a problem with oversupply and a OALD. My DD would choke and gag really bad. We had some really hard times. She is now 9 weeks old and the only way I have found to feed her that works best is the side lying position. She is now able to handle the OALD, but she is still very gassy and we have problems with green poo (at least 2 diapers a day). She does have at least 1 or 2 yellow diapers a day. I was pumping through letdown, but I felt this was aggrevating the oversupply problem I was having, so I have recently stopped pumping. Do I need to still pump to get rid of a good amount of the foremilk?

Also, is it normal for some days the baby doesn't want to eat very much? We have been on a every 3 hour schedule and she does well with it, but we have had 2 days in the last 2 weeks were she doesn't want to nurse but for about 5 minutes and then she is done. I don't feel like she is eating enough and she is going every 3 hours or sometimes longer on those days.

Another question, I am going back to work in a couple of weeks and I just know now how to work in the pumping. I actually work from home and I have someone that is coming in to watch my DD and she will have to have a bottle at least 3 times during the day. Right now, my DD usually just feeds off one breast at a feeding. When I go to pumping while working, should I pump both breast? I am just confused on how to handle the pumping and making sure I get enough.

Thanks,

Kristy

Default Re: OALD/green poo/gassy

Hi

I am glad to hear I am not alone, I am having similar issues - lots of milk and gassy baby. I was told to only feed on one for each feed as well and that I no longer needed to extract some of the foremilk first (which apparently is harder to digest). I was doing this when I fed on both sides.

I also read it is best not to pump if you have a fast let down (it makes it worse).

Is the gas particularly bad in the early morning like at 4-5am? That is when my son seems to have the most problems. I just posted to the Allergy forum as I was not sure if the gas/digestion issues were a result of the fast let down and gulping of air and bad burping on my behalf, or if it was something I was eating the night before.

When your baby nurses for 5 min, does she seem like she is getting lots of milk during this time. Sometimes my son will nurse for a shorter period of time but it's intense for that short period. If your baby is making it 3 hours after only 5 min of nursing, it sounds like she is getting enough..but I am no expert!

Good-luck, I will follow this thread myself as I am curious to hear what others suggest!

Kristen

The gas is bad in the mornings. She doesn't seem to have any problems with gas during the day or at night. I usually only feed her on one side and she seems satisfied with that. I always worry if she is getting enough, especially since I have pumped and given her a bottle ever so often and I see how much is coming out. I am trying to pump once a day and give her a bottle so that she is use to taking a bottle.

When she does nurse for only five minutes she seems fine, but I don't think she is getting enough of the hindmilk at that time because of my OALD. We usually nurse from 10-15 minutes every 3 hours and she seems fine aftewards. She is taking 7 feedings a day.

My mom is always telling me that breastfeeding is just easy. Well, I wish I could say that it is for me. I worry about her not getting enough to eat. I hate the OALD. I worry about the green poo. We have our good days and our bad days. I am just determined not to give up on it, but I don't want her to suffer because of my determination.

Hi

I wonder why the gas is worse in the mornings? And I wonder what we can do to help that. Your feeding schedule sounds very similar to mine, 7 feeds a day aproximately 10-20 min.

Is your daughter still gaining weight and body fat? If so, that's a good sign that she is getting enough milk.

If after the 5 min feed she was only getting the foremilk, I think she would ask to nurse again soon after.

As for the green poo..how green is green? My son's poo is a greenish/yellow..but maybe this is considered green? Is gree poo something to worry about?

As for the pumping/bottle, to clarify, I read that it was bad to express milk at the same time you are giving a feeding. In other words, if you pump first to remove some milk then feed, that is not suppose to be good. I read that you can express just enough to relieve pressure in the breast that is not being used during that feed.

If you pump to replace a feed I would think** that is ok, but I don't know for sure, as I haven't tried that yet. Any experts out there?

As for your mom, well...I am new at this and I can say of all the other new moms I have spoken to, everyone is having their own little problems with nursing. I think it's just a matter of time and determination, until you and your baby get in sync...so don't give up and for those who claim it's a walk in the park..take their comments with a grain of salt :-)

K

I am shocked at how many of us new mommies are experiencing OALD and Over Supply of milk! No one mentioned it to me at all before that it was even a possibility. It was always about "not enough milk"!

I have the same situations as you ladies - minus the gassiness. My 6 week old DD is doing much better eating since realizing that I have an Over Supply. I am now nursing either laying down or "up hill" (leaning back in a chair about 45 degrees, baby is almost lying on top of my breast/stomach area). I also hand express into a recieving blanket or towel right before a feeding. Not too much, just enough to get the nipple squirting well. She has been eating MUCH better - 12 to 15 (sometimes longer) minutes on one breast at a feeding. She naps OK (wakes up not immeadiately hungry) and sleeps fabulously at night (4.5 to 5 hours). I listened to a OALD and Over Supply Podcast that was offered in previous thread (I don't know how to post it for you so use the search button) and it was extremely helpful.

Best of luck to everyone that is going through this issue!

Here is a question though, does anyone know if and when I should start offering two sided feedings again? If my DD is doing well with one sided feedings, should I plan on changing or altering our style??

Quote Originally Posted by FerdieJen
    I am shocked at how many of us new mommies are experiencing OALD and Over Supply of milk! No one mentioned it to me at all before that it was even a possibility. It was always about "not enough milk"!
    Haha tell me about it! The first few weeks I was massaging and squeezing my breast while feeding the poor little guy, as this is what everything I read said to do...however I later learned that was for people with milk production issues! the poor guy must have been chugging it!

Was the podcast on the Leche league main website?

As for when to go back to feeding on both sides, I don't know. My son will be 10 weeks tomorrow and I must say in the last couple of weeks my milk has finally stabilized (I was always getting engorged before). In any case I still have enough in one breast to feed him with each feed so I have stuck to it. I also have noticed that he seems to be better able to handle the fast flow these days. When there is a strong let down and he pulls off, I let the jet of milk go into a breast pad until it slows down, then he goes back on and can suck without gagging.

Apart from appearing lopsided sometimes, I am quite happy to stick to one side feeding. Gives my boobs a longer time to recover between feeds!

Yes, the PodCast was on a link that Paint The Moon sent on a previous post. Search for the one titled "angry feedings" - you will find the link there.

I am totally fine with sticking with one side feeding, too. The only time my DD wants to nurse both sides is at her final feeding before bed around 9pm.

Quote Originally Posted by FerdieJen
    Yes, the PodCast was on a link that Paint The Moon sent on a previous post. Search for the one titled "angry feedings" - you will find the link there.

I am totally fine with sticking with one side feeding, too. The only time my DD wants to nurse both sides is at her final feeding before bed around 9pm.
    Hi, gals!

Here is the link to the other thread:

Oversupply Thread

and

OALD/Oversupply Thread 2

and the Podcast ...

It's an MP3 file you can listen to. I also found this extremely helpful and informative ...

Oversupply of Breastmilk LLL Leader Karen Smith talks with Elisabeth Lewin about identifying and overcoming the challenges of an oversupply of breastmilk, and/or of a forceful milk letdown (aka overactive milk ejection reflex). (29 min.)

Good Luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon