Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back to work & I need help/advice

Exclamation Going back to work & I need help/advice

Hello everyone! I apologize that this is long but I need some help and I'm very nervous!!!

I have a beautiful daughter who will be 10 months old this week. I exclusively breastfed her for the first 6 months. At 6 months we started cereal and we've worked our way up to real food (puree's). She gets 3 meals a day (typically a combo of cereal and fruit for breakfast, fruit and a veggie for lunch, and a meat like chicken and rice, a veggie, and a fruit for dinner). Sometimes she'll have a 4th meal if she seems hungry. Currently I nurse on demand and since I've been a stay at home mom, this has not been a problem for me. I used to pump, but I stopped because I no longer had the need (supply was good and I was always with my baby).

The problem: I start a new job tomorrow. I am very nervous because this will be the 1st time away from daughter for such a long period of time!!! My shift is 12 (noon) to 9 pm. I only work about 15 minutes away. I tried to pump some milk today while I nursed her so she could have some tomorrow, but I couldn't get any to come out. (This was my first time trying to pump in a few months) I have a hand pump that works really well (before I had a hospital grade pump that worked wonders!) I tried again later and only got about an ounce. I don't know why I couldn't express the milk, other than the fact that my daughter kept trying to grab the pump (I was nursing on one side and pumping on the other). I could feel the milk and hear her swallowing on the side she nursed on so I know I was making the milk and she was getting it, it just wasn't coming out. I have some Fenugreek that I have taken and I can start back if needed.

I don't think my issue is my supply, but I don't know why I could only pump an ounce. My biggest concern is trying to figure out how to pump at work. I'll get an hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks. Initially I thought I could pump on each of my 15 minute breaks and go home and have lunch and see my daughter (and nurse of course) on my hour break (I live 15 mins or less from my job). I realized tonight that won't work because my lunch break will be during 4-5 o'clock traffic and I'll never make it back to work on time. Any advice? I think if I nurse her a few times at night before bed and a few times in the AM she'll be ok with just one nursing between 12-9. (For example if she nurses 11 am, lunch at 1 or 2, nurse at 4, dinner at 6 or 7, nurse at 9:15) Do you think this is ok? How can I pump at work? If they give me access to a private room to pump, where would I store the milk?

I'm really freaking out...please help me!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Going back to work & I need help/advice

I'm so sorry things have been so stressful for you. You and your LO will hit your stride somehow even if it's rocky in the beginning.

I know that pumping can be difficult. It's so confusing how you can have a good supply and yet not pump that much. I've heard this complaint from lots of moms. Basically, you're not letting down for the pump. Some women look at a picture of their LOs or smell an item of their clothing while trying to let down. Others relax and think of waterfalls. Sometimes I watch the canister while I'm pumping and imagine it filling really quickly - it can help get things going.

As for storage, is there a fridge at your job? If not, what about using an insulated lunch bag with an ice brick?

Best of luck!

Thanks so much. Reassurance is what I needed! I guess I'm so confused because I usually pump a good amount. With the hospital grade pump I was getting 3 or 4 oz's when I stopped. Even with the hand pump I was getting more than this. I will try these techniques. I will also try to pump now before bed and I think I'll get up during the night to try to pump again.

I'm not sure if it's a fridge...I take that back. I'm very sure it's a fridge, but it's a really big center so I'm sure there will be tons of people that use the fridge. I would be scared some psycho would tamper with it or drink it or more realistically everyone will be grossed out LOL. Maybe I'll try the lunch bag idea.

It is hard to leave, especially that first time.

You're currently using a manual pump, is that correct? It is generally recommended that mothers with regular separations from baby use a full size double electric breast pump to help maintain their milk production levels. However, if that is not an option for you, you might find that are you are able to obtain more milk in less time if you try to combine the work of your manual pump with hand expression. This video offers some helpful information:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html (non-LLL resource)

Here is some general information and inspiring articles about returning to work:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBworking.html
    http://www.workandpump.com/gettingstarted.htm (non-LLL resource)

Would you prefer to use a full size double electric pump? If cost is a concern, you might consider checking with your County WIC office. Some do offer free pumps for working mothers. If not, there are inexpensive, but effective, pumps out there. For example, the Lansinoh version of the Ameda/Hollister Purely Yours is about $125 at discount stores (such as Wal-Mart). Another thing to note is that some mothers are finding that with a doctor's prescription, their health insurance will cover a full size double electric pump. It's worth checking into!

Best of luck to you tomorrow. Please do come back and let us know how it goes!

I'm moving this thread to working for more replies.

I went back to look for it and found it here! Thanks. I'm sorry I'm new so I hadn't scrolled down...I didn't know this portion even existed LOL. Right now price is a factor for me. The LC at the WIC office told me that they would allow me to rent a pump, but when I asked her about it again she seemed to not know what I was talking about. I think I'll ask her again. The hospital grade pump I used (Lactina Breastpump) worked wonders. I bought the hand pump because I saw it on clearance for 10 bucks so I bought two! I never used it much but it did a good job when I did use it. I had no idea I would be going back to work so I didn't think about getting a good one. A friend gave me one (First years I think...it's a double electric pump), but I wasn't able to get anything out of that one. I might try that one tomorrow night to see if I can get a better result.

I have several friends on WIC and WIC gives you a double electric breast pump.. a medula I believe. I would go back to that office and say something like.. several woman I know on WIC got an electric pump.. how do I go about doing that? They should provide you with one. Hope that helps!

I work full time right now.. and use an electric pump (AVENT double pump) and it is wonderful. The first time I cried. But four months later.. I pump every day at work around the same time (thats key!) and it only takes about 10 minutes or so and I get plenty for my little one. YOU CAN DO IT!
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Also know that it really should be hard to pump while at work especially because you will be pumping when your breast are full because your child will have not been there to nurse for at least 4hours by lunch time! So I imagine that the 1st day while away will be easier than it is when she is there draining them on demand. I know it's hard to leave! But I am sure you have made the best decision for your family! Good luck! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

I have never managed to pump much - when I recently went away for 2 days, I was still only manging a few ounces with an electric pump.

One other thing to remember is that now your daughter is 10 months old, I suspect your supply will be fine even though you will be away in the day, so if you don't manage to pump much or anything, then so long as you are feeding the rest of the time, it should be fine.

Also if you have difficulty storing the milk, you could always throw it away and not take it home - I know that seems a shame and a waste, and that breast milk is better than formula, but if she does have a drink of formula in the day instead of expressed milk, it isn't going to do her much harm. You have done brilliantly to get to 10 months anyway.

I hope it goes well.

Thanks everyone!!! Today went so well I couldn't wait to get home to tell you all! I was so worked up and stressed last night I couldn't sleep. I prayed for peace because I knew that I would miss my baby terribly. This morning went well, but I was nervous. Between pumping twice last night and once this morning, I was able to get 3.5 oz's for my daughter while I was gone. I printed two pictures of her to look at while at work and I was on my way.

I love my new job!!! I found out I have a shift I like (off weekends) and I get a dollar extra an hour. But are you ready for this??? I talked to HR to let her know I was nursing and would need somewhere to pump. All night I had thought about me in some dark musty room pumping in fear of someone busting in. I thought about my co-workers looking with disdain as I put my breast milk in the fridge next to their tuna fish sandwhiches and their sodas they packed for lunch. I even thought of some sicko taking my milk or doing something to it. ( I have a vivid imagination) Well when I told HR she said, "Oh we have a room for that. Let me show you where it is." She took me to a little room and my eyes watered up! It looks like a little nursery. It had Winnie the Pooh wall paper and a little changing table, a Winnie the Pooh blanket, some wipes. It had a little chair and a fridge to put the milk in. It even had a little sign that sign Privacy please or something like that to put on the door. I was so happy I was speechless. I didn't cry then, but I'm crying now just thinking about it. I was so worried about leaving my baby, but God answered my prayers and that little room will be the perfect place to provide for my baby while at work.

Thank you for reading

Ahh, I got a little teary eyed reading.
    I'm happy it all worked out for you!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!