Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spitting up after EVERY feed!!!!

Unhappy spitting up after EVERY feed!!!!

My son is 5 weeks old and has been breastfed since birth. Every time I feed him, he spits up a lot!! ( since birth). When he comes off the breast either for a burp or when he is done, he gets really fussy, then spits up and then seems to be OK. I don't know whats going on, but I'm getting really frustrated and thinking about going to formula.
    I do pump about once a day (3-4 oz) and if he is really fussy at the breast and I've tried to get him to feed for awhile, I usually end up feeding him ebm from the bottle. When he feeds from the bottle, he is very calm. He still spits up after this but not nearly as much and he doesn't seem to be as fussy when he does.
    Can anyone help?? I'm starting to get so frustrated that I'm not even enjoying breastfeeding anymore.

Default Re: spitting up after EVERY feed!!!!

Some babies are just spitters. I know it's not much fun to deal with, but unless there are other signs of a medical problem, frequent spitting up is really just a laundry problem. Babies outgrow it eventually.

Being fussy at the breast, then taking a bottle calmly, suggests to me that he may be developing a preference for the fast-and-steady flow from the bottle. Be careful or you may wind up with a baby who refuses to nurse altogether.

I'm sorry that you're feeling frustrated. Would it help at all to take a deep breath and give yourself permission to have a baby who fusses when he needs to burp and spits up a lot? It won't last forever and it's not the worst thing in the world.

--Rebecca

This sounds just like my DD when she was that age! But, like the previous poster said, some babies are just spitters. It REALLY does get better. Now, at nearly 7 months, DD rarely spits up. Although, we did some further investigating when it became a big issue and found that she had an intolerance to milk proteins which was corrected by my omiting dairy in my diet. Once we discovered this, the spitting up was reduced by at least half within about one to two weeks. DD was also diagnosed with reflux which some babies have because their digestive systems aren't fully matured. This too gets better as they get a bit older. Maybe you could talk to your ped. to see if he/she thinks there are any underlying issues causing the spitting up?
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Be carefull in choosing to change for formula, because the spitting can become worst. Usually with formula, there's a lot of spitting and it's much more grose.

And let's not talk about reflux or collics...

Hang on there! You'll see it's worth it!

My baby was the same way. I stopped eating acidic food (orange juice, tomatoes) and also spicy foods and that seemed to help a lot. Also, she has reflux, and the ped. gave her zantac which has helped a lot, although I'd like to stop giving it to her and see how she does now that she's a bit bigger.

I am so glad to read this bulletin board! My baby is 3 weeks old and spitting up all the time! I'm glad to read that he will most likely out-grow it. I'll keep at it and try to limit my dairy intake. This is my 4th child and I have always nursed my babies. My 2nd child had spitting up issues and I went to formula in hopes of fixing the problem. It didn't fix anything and I lost my milk. I switched to soy formula and it still didn't help. She just kept spitting up! She was diagnosed with acid reflux and I wish I had been more proactive in finding breast feeding solutions to the problem rather than switching to formula. That stuff is expensive and it didn't solve anything! I'm glad to know that spitting up is somewhat common and my baby will be ok!