Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down Syndrome nursing

Default Re: Down Syndrome nursing

Congratulations on the impending arrival of your new baby!

I have a 7 year-old with DS and as a general rule, I try to approach everything with her the same way as I do my other daughter. I don't anticipate that things are automatically going to be different for her while being cognizant of the fact that things may go more slowly or need to be modified eventually. She latched on shortly after she was born although the nurses were sure to warn me that it probably wouldn't work. DS, or not, this is a baby's instinct! While her suck-swallow reflex was a little underdeveloped (she choked a occasionally), it all worked out. A little milk would leak from the corners of her mouth but nothing major. best of luck!

Check out www.gigisplayhouse.org

I have a child with Down syndrome...he nursed for 19 mo. he choose not to nurse any longer...we didn't start actually BF until he was 3 months due to needing extra calories...he was very small at birth... we treid daily to BF but we could never do it well...when the dr. said no need for extra calories I went on a mission to exclusively BF so I gave myself and Stephen 3 days to figure it out and the bottles were going in the trash...after going to 5 different lactation people we finally got it (on the third day).

Our biggest issue was his lack of muscle tone he was able to latch but had a difficult time staying on. he would get tired very easily. It takes a lot of patience and encouragement. He took longer to nurse than a typical child did. (not necessarily true for every child wiht Ds) no matter what you read know that like typical children every child wiht Ds is different. you will have to consider do they have a heart condition, or other factors that may affect the child's ability to nurse effectively. You said that you nursed 5 other children that gives you a great foundation!!! don't wait to get help from other professionals if one isn't able to give you the tips you need to make it work go to another right away, you may find that you can take alittle something from each and make it work. we also went to an oral motor therapist...one thing that kids wiht Ds have trouble wiht is lip closure the therapist was able to give us exercises that helped wiht that which also helped wiht BF... Stick to it all the work is worth it!!!

there is a great site for parents who want to gather information and find support for all kinds of issues relating ot Ds... it is Downsyn.com...there are tons of BF moms on there as well...Enjoy your little one!!!

Laureen

Thanks so much to everyone who has encouraged me! You have made me feel so much better. I have had one lactation consultant who was a blessing, the others all seem to be very negative about it. I am going to give this all I have as I know it will be best for our little Gracie when she is here.
    Beth (hanbokmom)

I nursed my daughter with Down syndrome for over a year. I do have a few tips if you want to email me privately. Congrats on your soon to be new daughter. Children with DS are a very special joy!
    Kathy