Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to stop pureed foods?

Default when to stop pureed foods?

My son is 10.5 months and for each meal he gets pureed homemade baby food, oatmeal, or jar baby food - basically something spoon fed, and then one or 2 finger foods on the high chair tray. When do I stop giving him spoon fed foods? He loves to feed himself but is not quite ready to feed himself with a utensil yet. Just curious how other moms have made the transition.

Default Re: when to stop pureed foods?

With my first, we did purees then introduce little chucks at around 10 mos.

With my 7 month old, we are skipping purees altogether, she started off with a whole banana.

I think now would be a good time to experiment with it and if he doesn't seem to be ready, try it again in a week or so.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Our boys are 4 days apart!

I scatter food on his tray and I still spoon feed him chunky purees. But, lately, he's been refusing the spoon feeding and wants only to feed himself.

I think they decide for themselves when they are done being spoon fed.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Mikey is now "graduating" from pureés. On his tray, I put chunks/pieces/bites of things he can squish easily in his mouth like sweet potato (his fave!), bnsquash, avocado, etc. So I feel secure in his ability to not choke, I always test first using no teeth.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

evan has really only wanted chunks. he hated the pureed food, except applesauce. and forget feeding him with a spoon, he wants to do it all by himself! like pp, he eats bananas holding the whole thing, sweet potato slices, green beans, cheerios, peaches, pears, chicken, pasta, carrots...and more! he's 9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
    Our boys are 4 days apart!

I scatter food on his tray and I still spoon feed him chunky purees. But, lately, he's been refusing the spoon feeding and wants only to feed himself.

I think they decide for themselves when they are done being spoon fed.
    That's what we did, but now at 15 months Owen decided he likes it when mommy feeds him I attribute it to teething. So all this to say- introduce and follow his lead, he'll let you know what he's ready for.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.