Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ok, I'm confused...

Question Ok, I'm confused...

I haven't nursed for 2 days and my ds is doing fine with it, but now I feel like I'm going to explode! I was only nursing 1x a day and not for very long at a time. Now I don't know what to do, how long will it take for my body to adjust to not nursing and should I express milk or pump to keep from feeling so full or will that encourage more milk to be made??? I'm prone to plugged milk ducts and am afraid of getting mastitis again too. Everything I read seems to be conflicting? Some experienced mommy's advice is needed

Thanks

Default Re: Ok, I'm confused...

Well, I have not weaned but everything I have read on the topic states to express enough for comfort (and to protect from plugged ducts and infection). Don't express more than just enough for comfort, though, because it will trigger your body to produce milk. From what I understand your body can still produce milk for several months after you wean. Good luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Default Re: Ok, I'm confused...

Many mothers find it helps to express *just enough* for comfort. This kind of expression does not encourage milk production, but it does reduce the occurance of plugged ducts and mastitis.

Other tips:
    *Wear a supportive bra
    *Apply chilled cabbage leaves or a cold compress (a bag of frozen peas works nicely) to the breast to help decrease engorgement.
    *Ask your doctor about taking an OTC anti-inflamatory/pain medication such as ibuprofen.
    *Be watchful of signs of mastitis.

More information about weaning:

The mammary glands of other mammals involute (return to pre-pregnancy size) rapidly. Humans, however, generally continue to produce milk for about 45 days after complete weaning with some women experiencing milk secretion for several months or more. It is believed that a psychological nursing stimulus contributes to this effect in humans since they continue to have contact with their young long after weaning.
    http://www.llli.org//llleaderweb/LV/...Jan01p112.html
    HTH!