Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: going back to work-wanna pump & freeze, but we have thrush! =(

Default going back to work-wanna pump & freeze, but we have thrush! =(

my dd is 5 weeks old. she was diagnosed with thrush at 3 1/2 weeks. my nipples were sore and i had some sharp, shooting pains in my breast. i'm now taking diflucan and feeling much better. my dd was put on nystatin...tried it for a week with no improvement. so i tried gentian violet. it was a miracle worker for my 1st dd (we were fighting thrush for about 4 or 5 months and it was the only thing that worked). i've already done 2 applications of the gentian violet on my 2nd dd (and my nipples, too), but i can still see the thrush on her tongue.

i go back to work in a month and i wanted to start pumping in a couple of weeks to start my supply...but what if she still has thrush? and how do i know for sure that i'm in the clear? my nipples aren't sore anymore...and i'm still using the apno and have several days left of my diflucan. i know you can't freeze milk if you have thrush. i was told that you can pump and give the milk the next day or two, but no freezing.

so what do i do? any advice?? i wanted to hold off on giving formula for as long as i can...but if i can't pump and freeze and start my supply for when i go back to work, i may have to supplement with formula sooner than i'd like to.

anyone???
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Default Re: going back to work-wanna pump & freeze, but we have thrush! =(

Well you can always freeze it and use it if you HAVE to by mixing it with fresh in small amounts. ( to like top off a bottle). other than that I don't know what to tell ya.

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and

Default Re: going back to work-wanna pump & freeze, but we have thrush! =(

This resource offers some helpful information and suggestions:
    I have thrush. Can I give baby my expressed milk? (non-LLL resource)