Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding duration

Default feeding duration

My six week old has recently started nursing on only one side each feeding. He'll be on one breast anywhere from 7 to 15 minutes. Either Ill delatch him or he'll seem to b done. In either case, after I burp him he doesn't want the other side. He'll be hungry again anywhere from 1-3 hours later. Most of the day (andnight) his feedings occur about every 2-2.5 hours. He used to take both sides at eachfeeding. Is he becoming more efficient/can I assume he's getting enough as long as he has several wet diapers and afew stools a day??

Default Re: feeding duration

Watching his diaper output is a good way of knowing what hes taking in. Following his lead is key to establishing and maintaining your supply. Its not uncommon around that age for your child to start becoming more efficient. Have you already gone through the 6 week growth spurt?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I'm not sure if he's gone through the 6 week growth spurt. Early on he was gaining over 2 ounces a day...but he hasn't been weighed in a couple of weeks, so I'm not sure.

I would let him come off on his own and not worry. Watch the baby, not the clock.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.