Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about block feeding?

Default Question about block feeding?

My LO is 10 weeks old and I have OALD/OS. I have been feeding on 1 side at each session and alternate sides (I think that's block feeding?) My question is will I continue to feed on only 1 side at each feeding even when my supply becomes more regulated or will I ever switch back to 2 sided feedings? If I continue 1 sided feedings will my milk supply eventually decrease too much. Thanks for advice!

Default Re: Question about block feeding?

Eventually, you'll probably notice that you'll be using both sides at one time. For us, it happened during a growth spurt (about 3mos or so), and after that, I just continued to use both breasts. My supply had finally regulated.

I do know another mom who continued block feeding until baby was about a year old. That's what worked for them. Every mother is different.

I still block feed and my DD is now almost 5 months. I have no supply issues except for occasional engorgement that lasts less than a day.

I had to nurse from the same breast for 2 feedings for my supply to even out. My son just turned 1 and we still only use one side, I figure hindmilk is great so why not? It's all trial and error, you'll find what works for you.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I still blockfeed out of habit 6months later. Now dd2 will tell me if she wants a breast or not. Usually it is because I forgot which side she last fed from. It took me about 4months or so for my OALD get under control.

GL and I am sure you will find your groove soon.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.