Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any suggestions to change a snacker?

Question Any suggestions to change a snacker?

My LO is 10 weeks old. We have had some challenges with breastfeeding, but it is getting much better. My biggest concern/issue now is that he takes FOREVER to nurse. He is a snacker! He will nurse for a few minutes and then want to take a break for 15-20 minutes before he starts fussing and wanting to nurse again. Occasionally he will nurse all at once for 15-20 minutes, but usually he stops and starts several times and takes about 1 hour or more to complete a nursing session. The reason I am asking for help is because by the time he finishes nursing he is tired and ready to nap again and we don't usually get much time to interact/play with him. Any suggestions? Thank you all!

Default Re: Any suggestions to change a snacker?

Oh mama embrace the sleeping baby while he there! You will blink your eyes and all your baby will want to do is play! Actually a common concern between 6 and 10 months is that the baby doesn't eat ENOUGH because they're distracted playing. Your baby is still in the process of regulating your milk and getting things down. It sounds like he is still getting the hang of things and honestly, breastfeeding is WORK for a newborn. I'd say there will be about two more weeks of this round the clock eating, with an surge at the end which will be the 12weeks growth spurt. Which will last 3-5 days and completely exhaust you , and then your home free. And between 3-4 months you'll find your "sweet spot". So stay focused. Because the day your little one want to play peek a boo over your boob is coming soon and so is the big grin with the mouthful of breast! I promise you don't want to miss either.
    Two more weeks. The light at the end of the tunnel.
    Keep us posted!

Way too lazy for formula

At that age it felt like all we did was nap, nurse, change the diaper, and oh will you look at that? Its time for another nap!! It does change really fast.

My son always was an efficient nurser and a snacker. I was concerned about it at first until we discovered that he has reflux. His eating habits were his way of dealing with the reflux. Refluxers are typical snackers. When I finally accepted that HE was doing what HE knew was best for his body it made me trust him more when it came to eating.

Good luck

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Actually, my LO does have reflux and takes Prevacid for it. It's just difficult to spend so much time nursing him and still have enough time for everything else. I will be back to work soon and won't be able to spend an hour or more every morning nursing him before work. He already does the smiling and cooing at me. I LOVE it!