Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP, my new born baby doesn't tinkle

Default Re: HELP, my new born baby doesn't tinkle

Thanks FGod, mi little Gio has tinkle two times since yesterday... it was a hard night, because she wanted to take my milk since 10:30pm to 12am... a really long time, but she was eating slowly, but well... then, she awake at 2am, and continues eating my milk until 4:30am... In the last period she tinkle her diaper, so I let her sleep until 9am (and yes, she tinkle again)... she ate only one breast, but I'm going to awake her in half of hour (at 10:30 more or less).

Thinking of what was happening, I think that the first days I gave her only a few minutes, and I didn't insist her to take more milk (we are talking of 5 or 10 minutes in one breast)... sometimes she ask me for the other breast, but I think that the time come, that she was so sleep, that she can ask me for more...

In any way, I'm going to watch her closely to see that evertything is going to continue beeing fine.

Really thanks for your help, a lot of the advice that you gave me, help me (and her) to take more milk, and in a better way... My big mistake was to believe that she was going to eat like her older brother (it was really stuppid).

Thanks a lot, I'm going to continue writting on this post in order to update the changes and advances of my little princess...

Laura I am so glad to hear you have seen an improvement in your little one. I had been following this post to see how things went.

Quote Originally Posted by laura_blue View Post
    My big mistake was to believe that she was going to eat like her older brother (it was really stuppid).

Thanks a lot, I'm going to continue writting on this post in order to update the changes and advances of my little princess...
    Oh, you weren't stupid...you simply didn't know.

Some babies are just sleepy babies. My son had no real interest in nursing for the first 24-36 hours after birth. He just wanted to sleep. Then, it was like he woke up and practically attached himself to my breasts!

The one thing that always helped me was getting into a warm (not too warm) bath with him. If he had no real desire to latch on when he was dressed, etc I would just strip him down and get into the warm bath with him. He would almost immediately start nursing.

And, don't rely on how much you can hand-express to tell you how much milk you have. Baby diaper output should be your indicator. So, at this age, she should be having 5-6 wet/poopy diapers.

I'm happy to hear that all is working out! Just keep putting her on the breast and do not restrict her time. She'll let you know when she's done.

Definitely keep us updated!!
    Last edited by caldangel; March 1st, 2008 at 10:43 AM.

Laura_blue, this is very good news! Thank you for such a prompt update. I am hoping that you and little Gio have turned the corner and that things will continue to improve in her eating and diaper output.

It is still important that you get her to breast at least 10-12 times in every 24-hour period and that you track her diaper output. A newborn by 5 days old needs to be making 5-6 wet diapers (if using cloth diapers, it should be 6-8 wet diapers) in every 24-hour period. And 2-3 dirty diapers in every 24-hour period. The poops don't have to be huge -- just 2.5 cm in diameter or so "counts" as 1 poop -- but they need to be happening 2-3 times every day from now on. Don't relax about her milk intake until you start seeing these minimum wet-and-dirty numbers every day, and until she starts gaining well (at least 4 ounces or 115g every week.)

http://www.llli.org//FAQ/enough.html

Good luck -- hugs and kisses to your sweet little Gio, please tell her to eat lots and grow well! You're doing wonderfully and she is lucky to have a mama who loves her so much.

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I am so glad to hear that your little Gio is doing better. Keep up the good work mama.

Great advice!

I wanted to add, if you have a hard time counting diapers and paying attention, take out 7 diapers and set them aside for the day. That way it's easier to see what the baby goes through.

Good luck!

I noticed you mentioned her sometimes not 'asking for' the other breast.

Sometimes newborns don't cry for the next breast, but do offer just in case.

Someone once said, "it's like a dinner party, it's always polite to offer dessert, even if they don't take it".

Glad to see the good update.

How is everyone doing today?
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07