Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP, my new born baby doesn't tinkle

Default HELP, my new born baby doesn't tinkle

Sorry for the grammar, I'm a mexican mommy that doesn't remember well the english grammar.

4 days ago my baby girl was born, with my first child we didn't have problems (in fact he continues with my milk), but now my baby only make pee (Tinkle) once every 24 hours, the first 2 days, and now she only tinkle because I gave her 1oz of water.

Her doctor said it was normal for a breastfeading baby, the only thing he make me do, was to gave her water to see if her kidney was normal.

Yesterday she was so sleepy, and now I wake her every 2 hours to gave her milk... I don't know what to do, PLEASE HELP US

Default Re: HELP, my new born baby doesn't tinkle

Is your milk in or is she still getting colostrum? Oh and there are spanish speaking forums here if that would be easier for you
    http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=64
    http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Laura_blue, I'm glad you posted -- congratulations on your new baby girl, and

Please don't apologize for your English skills -- I see that you have also posted on the Spanish-language forum, but I'm sure you are eager for quick responses. We'll be happy to help you here as well.

It is very concerning if a 4-day-old baby is making only one wet diaper in the past 24 hours. This could be dangerous for her. When did you last speak with her doctor? If you feel he doesn't understand how serious the problem is, you might consider calling another doctor, the lactation unit at your hospital if they have one, or the hospital's emergency room. I'm not sure what country you are in, so I don't know what healthcare services might be available to you.

In the meantime, we will help you figure out the problem and get past it to a successful breastfeeding relationship. I'm going to ask you some questions that will help us see the situation more clearly.

How many times has your daughter nursed at your breast in the past 24 hours?

When she nurses, what does it feel like? Since you are still nursing your older child, it will surely feel different, but is there a firm "tug, tug" sensation? Does she suck quickly at first, then settle into longer steady sucks, with occasional pauses and swallowing sounds? (The swallowing may sound like a small puff of air coming out.)

How many dirty diapers has she made since she was born? What color was the poop each time?

What was her birth weight? Has she been weighed since then? If so, what day was that, and how much did she weigh then?

We don't recommend giving water to such a young baby. It can fill up their tummies so they don't want to nurse, but it doesn't nourish them. Can you express your milk (with a pump or with your own hands) and give it to her? Your "first milk" (colostrum) may be thick and sticky and come out only in drops -- you can express this directly onto a spoon and feed it to her right off the spoon.

I've asked a lot of questions -- please take your time answering or just do the ones that aren't overwhelming to you right now. I will watch this thread through the evening and will have more information for you.

I never count the numbers of times that I had gave milk to my baby, I know that in this case, that's a bad idea... thinking of yesterday, I gave her a lot of times, but only few minutes... not 10 or 20 that are the indicated times for newborn babies...

Today, I gave her 6 times more or less, I don't know if are normal or not the numbers of times that I gave her milk, at least now I see her more "awake" than yesterday, that she was really sleepy and I had to wake her up to gave her milk.

Today, at first, she ate quickly and at the end she sucks more slowly, but I don't ear her swallow. She had made poop 2 times, and the color was black. She weight 3.430kg at born and we haven't weight her again since then.

Thanks to understand me, my english gets worst because I really feel bad, and I can think normally, in the spanish forum I post my message but I don't get quick answers.

The medical care here in Mexico is really bad. It's really difficult to get a pro-lactancy doctor... in fact I have to drive 1.30 hours to the doctor of my childs...

Ok, I understand that.

Begin by placing the baby more frequently on your breast. Many mothers breast feed between 8- 12 times during a whole day (24 hours). When baby is sucking, gently squeeze the breast to help the milk along.

It is a good sign the black (newborn) poop is moving out of her system. Breast milk stimulates the digestive system which increases the amounts of stool (poop).

It is good that your baby is eating quickly in the begining. Try the squeezes I told you about - towards the end of a feeding when baby is getting tired.

Support your breast with your hand to allow baby to feed without having to support the weight of your breast on her chin, this way she will not tire out so easily.

Do you feel like she is hard to wake up? What are you doing to stimulate her?

Wearing your baby next to your skin while she is naked, will make her more interested in breast feeding. Do you own a baby sling? They are easy to make and will keep her close, but still let you walk around the house and care for your other baby.

Can you give us any detail about your birth or any complications you may have had?

Quote Originally Posted by laura_blue View Post
    I never count the numbers of times that I had gave milk to my baby, I know that in this case, that's a bad idea... thinking of yesterday, I gave her a lot of times, but only few minutes... not 10 or 20 that are the indicated times for newborn babies...

Today, I gave her 6 times more or less, I don't know if are normal or not the numbers of times that I gave her milk,
    Now that you know she may be having trouble, you can start to track when she eats and how many diapers she wets and dirties. It will be good to write this down on a piece of paper, so that you can share it with her doctor when you talk to him.

A newborn baby should be nursing well at least 10-12 times in every 24-hour period. Try to get her to nurse every two hours from now until this crisis is past. This includes at night -- you may want to set an alarm to wake you.

It is good to nurse even more frequently than every two hours, if the baby seems interested. Get her to breast as much as possible, even if she last ate only a few minutes previously. It is important to stimulate your milk supply and get as much milk into her as possible.

at least now I see her more "awake" than yesterday, that she was really sleepy and I had to wake her up to gave her milk.
    A wakeful newborn is a better sign than one that is too sleepy to nurse.

Today, at first, she ate quickly and at the end she sucks more slowly, but I don't ear her swallow.
    Watch the video clips here (this is a non-LLL resource):

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html#Video%20Clips

Sometimes a baby will appear to be nursing well -- it may even feel like a good latch/suck to the momma -- but for some reason the baby doesn't get much milk while nursing, even though there is milk in the breast. The video clips show what a good latch looks like, but more importantly shows what a baby looks and sounds like while actively drinking -- actually getting milk and swallowing. The sound of the swallow can be very hard to hear -- look for the irregular brief pause in her chin movement that indicates she just got a mouthful of milk, as explained in some of the video clips. Try the breast compression technique that is also explained in the videos, to get a bit more milk into her mouth and keep her nursing actively for as long as possible.

She had made poop 2 times, and the color was black.
    The black poop is called "meconium" -- it's the poop she was born with. We want to see that black color change to greenish and then to yellow. Normally it will be changing color before day four. This is another sign that she hasn't been getting enough milk to thrive.

She weight 3.430kg at born and we haven't weight her again since then.
    A nice big baby girl, then! (I'm a stupid American, I had to translate that into pounds -- just over 7 pounds 8 ounces.) How many weeks gestation was your pregnancy when she was born? And was it a vaginal or cesarean birth? Any complications with the labor, birth, or postpartum time for either of you? Did you have a lot of bleeding, by any chance?

Thanks to understand me, my english gets worst because I really feel bad, and I can think normally, in the spanish forum I post my message but I don't get quick answers.
    You must be terribly stressed and exhausted and worried! My heart goes out to you. We will do our best to help you in English; hopefully some of the Spanish-speaking mothers will respond soon in the other forum to support and encourage you as well.

The medical care here in Mexico is really bad. It's really difficult to get a pro-lactancy doctor... in fact I have to drive 1.30 hours to the doctor of my childs...
    There are LLL Leaders in Mexico:

http://llli.org/Mexico.html

Perhaps you can reach one by phone to discuss this situation and get some more ideas and information.

In the meantime, I have a few more questions for you. Has your milk "come in" yet? It should be increasing in quantity and changing from the thick/sticky colostrum to thinner, whitish mature milk. Sometimes the milk does not "come in" for five days or longer, but with your baby showing some signs of insufficient milk intake (infrequent pees, infrequent black poops) we want to do what we can to hurry the milk along. Can you squeeze out some milk from either breast? What does it look like?

Do you have any sort of breast pump? It may be necessary to start expressing your milk to ensure a good milk supply, if your daughter hasn't yet got the hang of nursing effectively. It is also possible to use your hands to express milk; we can share some information to help you learn to do this if you don't have a good pump.

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Welcome and I hope we can help. I wish I could speak spanish so i could help you more. I agree with the other people. Keep you baby close to you and feed her a lot 10-12 times in 24 hours or more if she wants to. New babies are sleepy and should be woken up to eat. Tickle her feet or kiss her cheeks to wake her. If she is pooping that is good but it should be changing color to yellow or brown soon. Are you using cloth diapers? How do you know that she is only tinkling once a day? Hope you and your baby are doing okay.

I'm going to see the videos right now, give her milk every 2 hours, squeeze my breast to help her taking my milk, and support my breast so she doesn't had my breast weight over her chin...

I had an aquatic partum, she born at 39 weeks of gestation, and I had the "normal" bleeding at that time...

I don't know if my milk has come yet... I think that maybe I'm not going to feel anything because I breastmilk my older son at the same time... my milk looks white and trasparent (I only get a few drops when I try to squeeze my breast with y hands). I don't have a breast pump, so tonight I'm going to try to do it manually...

I know that she was doing once in a day because I put in her diaper a "gauze" (I don't know if is correct... is a small piece of fabric that we use to put over the wounds)

Her poop was black (meconium) the first two times... the third time she made a brown poop... and since two days ago, she hadn't made any...

Really, really thanks to take time to understand me... I'm going to try all your advices.

And I'm going to still be here if you have more ideas that can help me in this crisis...

Quote Originally Posted by laura_blue View Post
    I'm going to see the videos right now, give her milk every 2 hours, squeeze my breast to help her taking my milk, and support my breast so she doesn't had my breast weight over her chin...
    Good plan! Remember that if she seems interested in nursing, even if she is still basically asleep -- mouthing motions, sucking on her fists, starting to stir -- get her to breast even if she nursed recently. More frequently than every 2 hours is just fine -- the more frequently she nurses, the better.

I had an aquatic partum, she born at 39 weeks of gestation, and I had the "normal" bleeding at that time...
    OK, this is good news. Sometimes if a mother loses a lot of blood giving birth, it interferes with her milk production. I'm glad this is not your situation.

I don't know if my milk has come yet... I think that maybe I'm not going to feel anything because I breastmilk my older son at the same time... my milk looks white and trasparent (I only get a few drops when I try to squeeze my breast with y hands).
    How old is your son? Has he told you that your milk tastes different yet? Often older nurslings will be surprised when the milk "comes in" -- there is suddenly more of their favorite thing!

In general, tandem nursing (breastfeeding two children of different ages) does not cause any problem with the newborn baby's access to milk -- in fact, many mothers find that having an older nursling helps to prevent engorgement and discomfort when their milk comes in. But if we don't see quick improvement in your daughter's diaper output, we may need to look at your son's breastfeeding patterns, to make sure that he isn't getting most of the milk right before she eats, etc. This is just something to think about for later, not a diagnosis of a problem.

I don't have a breast pump, so tonight I'm going to try to do it manually...
    Here is a good explanation of a proven technique for manual expression of breastmilk (this is a non-LLL resource):

http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

It can take practice and time to learn to express milk, especially manually. Don't get discouraged if you don't produce much the first few tries. As you practice, your body will learn to release the milk more easily.

Any milk you do collect can be fed to your baby. Every drop helps right now!

Please watch her diaper output during the night and give us an update tomorrow morning. Good luck and hang in there.

And don't forget to get some rest!!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)