Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby went 9 hours between feedings...

Default Baby went 9 hours between feedings...

My LO will be 10 weeks old this Sunday and she has been a decent sleeper (although a total night owl) for several weeks now. Generally she goes somewhere between 6 1/2 - 7 hours between feedings overnight (2-3 hours between during the day) and sleeps about 12 hours a day in total. But the past two days she has been much fussier than normal when awake, and sleeping longer in the morning.

So last night I fed her at midnight, and she fell asleep at 1 a.m. She slept until almost 9 this morning, fed, went back to sleep for another 3 1/2 hours, fed, and is now asleep again. Basically it's almost 4 p.m. and she has only woken up three times to eat, probably staying awake a total of 1 1/2 hours (if that).

I left a message for our pediatrician just because it's not her normal behavior, but should I have scheduled an appt. or is this just another one of those things our LO's do to throw us for a loop? Doesn't help that she already has a clogged tear duct AND last night I accidentally nipped the tip of her finger with the nail clippers - absolute trauma for both of us. (Although she has since gotten over it and I haven't.)
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Baby went 9 hours between feedings...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMom View Post
    My LO will be 10 weeks old this Sunday and she has been a decent sleeper (although a total night owl) for several weeks now. Generally she goes somewhere between 6 1/2 - 7 hours between feedings overnight (2-3 hours between during the day) and sleeps about 12 hours a day in total. But the past two days she has been much fussier than normal when awake, and sleeping longer in the morning.

So last night I fed her at midnight, and she fell asleep at 1 a.m. She slept until almost 9 this morning, fed, went back to sleep for another 3 1/2 hours, fed, and is now asleep again. Basically it's almost 4 p.m. and she has only woken up three times to eat, probably staying awake a total of 1 1/2 hours (if that).

I left a message for our pediatrician just because it's not her normal behavior, but should I have scheduled an appt. or is this just another one of those things our LO's do to throw us for a loop? Doesn't help that she already has a clogged tear duct AND last night I accidentally nipped the tip of her finger with the nail clippers - absolute trauma for both of us. (Although she has since gotten over it and I haven't.)
    You know your baby better than anyone, so if your mommy instinct tells you to call the ped. again, then call.

How many times is she eating right now in a 24 hour period?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    You know your baby better than anyone, so if your mommy instinct tells you to call the ped. again, then call.

How many times is she eating right now in a 24 hour period?
    She usually gets in somewhere between 7 and 9.

Just after I posted she woke up with a huge grin on her face. It's like she is teasing me!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

She usually gets in somewhere between 7 and 9.
    That sounds about right to me for her age. By this, I assume she's making good diapers and is gaining weight nicely? If you're concerned with her sleeping too much, you can always call. When in doubt...

Just after I posted she woke up with a huge grin on her face. It's like she is teasing me!
    What a little stinker!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I might consider offering during the day more often and see what happens. A well hydrated baby will have around 5-6 wet disposables and 2-3 poops per day. Do you feel like you are seeing this?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I might consider offering during the day more often and see what happens. A well hydrated baby will have around 5-6 wet disposables and 2-3 poops per day. Do you feel like you are seeing this?
    Yes, she has always been right on track in that area. She also is above the 95th percentile for weight and height, so I don't have any doubts that she's getting enough. I guess my concern was more that she was sleeping SO MUCH compared to her "usual." Of course the person who called back from the ped. said, "Babies sleep all day long. They don't wake up to play." I wanted to tell her, "Um, I've had this baby for 10 weeks now and trust me, she does wake up to play!"

Yesterday we picked up a co-sleeper and she slept in it last night. She woke up two hours earlier which was much better for me (the engorgement from yesterday was the worst I've had) and we got in a few extra feedings that way. We'll see how it goes!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Just as you get used to this new rhythm, she'll change! It's one of the joys of mommyhood, I've come to learn. We're dealing with the joy of separation anxiety right now. DS had been sleeping so nicely, now he wants to cling like a monkey to one of us and doesn't want to go to his crib, which is very unusual for him. Go figure! This, too, shall pass.

It wouldn't hurt to offer more like the PP suggested. As my mom says, "Can't hurt, might help."

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    Just as you get used to this new rhythm, she'll change! It's one of the joys of mommyhood, I've come to learn.
    You couldn't be more right... last night she decided she wasn't going to sleep AT ALL. It was 6 a.m. before anyone got to sleep. She had been awake since 10 p.m.!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

(((hugs))) babies change their pattern every so often! my 4 month old has been sleeping through the night since she was 45 days old,yet in the last two days she slept two hours earlier and woke up two hours earlier than usual

Hi there - the more stimulation that baby's are exposed to, the more sleep they need to process it. Baby's do their growing and developing in their sleep. I've found that if Aly sleeps through the night I generally give her a 6 oz bottle of ebm in the morning. during the day she generally eats 4 oz every 2 hours. Sounds like everything is pretty normal, but it is good that you are in tune to her habits They definitely like to keep us on our toes