Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting Full Milk Supply

Default Getting Full Milk Supply

I am new here and am having a hard time getting my milk supply. I had preemie twin boys born at 30 weeks they are now 34 weeks corrected. but 3 weeks old and I can't seem to get my milk supply up i am pumping ever hour or so and taking Fenugreek. I am willing to try just about anything. I have stated getting up in the night to pump to see if that helps get my milk in. I am willing to try just about anything at this point. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Jami

Default Re: Getting Full Milk Supply

Quote Originally Posted by jatwins View Post
    I am new here and am having a hard time getting my milk supply. I had preemie twin boys born at 30 weeks they are now 34 weeks corrected. but 3 weeks old and I can't seem to get my milk supply up i am pumping ever hour or so and taking Fenugreek. I am willing to try just about anything. I have stated getting up in the night to pump to see if that helps get my milk in. I am willing to try just about anything at this point. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Jami

Hi Jami, congratulations on the birth of your sons! What pump are you using, how are you using it/what is your pumping routine, and how many times & for how long are you using it every 24 hours? Also, how much milk are you obtaining over 24 hours? Did you have any pregnancy complications? Do you have polycystic ovarian syndrome, a thyroid issue, other health condition? Were you given steroids before birth to help babies' lungs mature and, if so, how far ahead of birth?

BTW, you may want to move this or also post on the Breastfeeding Multiples forum under Special Situations...

Hang in!

Welcome to the forum mama!

Struggling with your milk supply can really be frustrating and stressful. We are glad to offer you support and feedback.

I am taking the Fenugreek and also Pumping every hour to every two with one at night. I am using Ameda Purely Yours pump. it seems to work and when im at the hospital i am using one of theirs. My boys are at 4 weeks as of tomorrow. WE are hoping to have them home in about 2 weeks if all goes well. I have seen the LC at the hospital and they all keep saying to keep with it. I finally had one of them give me some straight answers last week. She told me that with the trouble that i had getting pregnant, the boys being early and at the end i was Really sick that all doesn't help with milk production. For me i am just happy to get anything at all. Thank you for the help and i will keep going and keep trying.

Jami

Quote Originally Posted by jatwins View Post
    I am taking the Fenugreek and also Pumping every hour to every two with one at night. I am using Ameda Purely Yours pump. it seems to work and when im at the hospital i am using one of theirs. My boys are at 4 weeks as of tomorrow. WE are hoping to have them home in about 2 weeks if all goes well. I have seen the LC at the hospital and they all keep saying to keep with it. I finally had one of them give me some straight answers last week. She told me that with the trouble that i had getting pregnant, the boys being early and at the end i was Really sick that all doesn't help with milk production. For me i am just happy to get anything at all. Thank you for the help and i will keep going and keep trying.

Jami, I think the pump could be a real problem. The Purely Yours is a terrific pump – but not for your situation. It’s for the mom who already has good milk production established and only needs to pump a few times a day. It was NOT designed for the mother of even one preterm infant who establishing milk production by pumping 24/7. It doesn't get the suction pressures of the Ameda Elite or Medela Symphony or Classic.

Even Ameda, who makes the Purely Yours, does not recommend this pump for your situation. See and answer questions at: http://www.ameda.com/products/finder/

Having trouble getting pregnant may or may not have something to do with milk production -- depends on the physical reason for difficulty. (And some can be resolved with appropriate medication.) Being preterm and sick at the end of pregnancy may or may not have something to do with it. How much milk are you actually obtaining in each 24 hours?

While you want to pump 8-12x/24 hours, you need a pumping routine that can “fit” your need to recuperate and spend time with your babies while building and then maintaining milk production. In addition to the right pump, certain pumping routines can work better than others – as can proper fit of the flanges or breast shields, the pieces of the pump collection kit that are applied directly over the breast. (Both Ameda and Medela make these in several sizes, and the right size can make a big difference in amount of milk obtained.)

Any amount of breastmilk you can provide for your babies is a LOT better than no breastmilk. But you deserve to find out if you can produce more and that will take the use of a more appropriate pump…

[QUOTE=Karen Gromada;453198] Did you have any pregnancy complications? Do you have polycystic ovarian syndrome, other health condition? Were you given steroids before birth to help babies' lungs mature and, if so, how far ahead of birth? QUOTE]

Hi... I see that you mention those issue above and I would like to know why???? I had all of those issues (polycystic ovarioan syndrome, pre-eclampsia, I was given steroids) and I have the curiosity to know how do that matter in the milk production.....

Need to mention that I had a nice suply up until my baby was sent home at about 6 weeks and I started birth control pill.... then my hell supply started!!!!! The only way I can keep my supply is taking Domperidone....

heres a good link about pumping when baby isn't nursing any at the breast
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Gromada View Post
    Jami, I think the pump could be a real problem. The Purely Yours is a terrific pump – but not for your situation. It’s for the mom who already has good milk production established and only needs to pump a few times a day. It was NOT designed for the mother of even one preterm infant who establishing milk production by pumping 24/7. It doesn't get the suction pressures of the Ameda Elite or Medela Symphony or Classic.

When I had supply problems, I started out using a Purely Yours and got nowhere with it. When I got my hospital-grade rental pump and started using it every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, I was astounded at the difference it made. Best $2/day I ever spent.

[QUOTE=Sambarou;463234]
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Gromada View Post
    Did you have any pregnancy complications? Do you have polycystic ovarian syndrome, other health condition? Were you given steroids before birth to help babies' lungs mature and, if so, how far ahead of birth? QUOTE]

Hi... I see that you mention those issue above and I would like to know why???? I had all of those issues (polycystic ovarioan syndrome, pre-eclampsia, I was given steroids) and I have the curiosity to know how do that matter in the milk production.....

Need to mention that I had a nice suply up until my baby was sent home at about 6 weeks and I started birth control pill.... then my hell supply started!!!!! The only way I can keep my supply is taking Domperidone....

Some moms find there's a delay in copious production after pre-eclampsia. And a recent study found a link to the timing of steroids, birth and milk production -- again the issue seems to be delay vs. long-term problem. However, when there's a delay, it's easy to get discouraged with pumping or BF, so a mom may not pump or BF often enough because she's in a "what's the use" place. But it's kind of like priming a pump -- you gotta keep pushing the handle up/down even if you get only drops for awhile. If you give up, one never gets water, but if one keeps pumping, suddenly water gushes from the spigot. Same can happen at times with pumping milk!

Re: PCOS can affect just about every hormone system in the body. And lactation depends on a variety of hormones working together. I've met some PCOS moms who overproduce, but a couple of studies found up to 1/3 of the PCOS moms in their samples had lower production. One thing we've learned is that PCOS can be associated with a type of insulin resistance, which is why so many of these moms are on metformin or similar med during pregnancy. Often docs take moms off this type of med at birth. I've seen re-intro of this kind of med result in an increase in production. However, there's lots of variations in PCOS re: its effect on a woman's body.

Let me know if this did/didn't answer your questions!