Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting solids BEFORE 4 months?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Starting solids BEFORE 4 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahsmama View Post
    More than likely, constipation, mess and hassle will be the result.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

He loved it. Has no family history of allergies. Was ped. approved. Still BF the same amount, and still does. Was already sleeping well, not giving solids for that reason. He was a very fussy baby and just needed something new to do and loved his solids. It wasn't and still isn't his main source of nutrition. He had rice cereal for a month then I started stage 1, then at 6 months started stage 2. I do what worked for us, and he is a happy and growing baby. I am not saying you should or should not do it. It is a families decision, each individualized. I was being brave to even post on here about this being that I go against the grain. Hold the tar and feathers please. It is a personal decision, way the pros and cons and make your decision accordingly.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmommy View Post
    I started my son on cereals at just before 4 months because he was showing many of the same signs your LO is showing..and he did very well on it,.i started him on veggies a lil bit before 5 months and he has loved them..My DR told me cereal at 4 mnoths veggies at 5 meat at 6 and fruits at 7...a lot of the new guidelines though say to wait until 6 months. i actually had the same question you did and got much of the same response(shoulda waited) but you know what, its your son youre the mom, if you think hes ready then hes ready,

and its not like the cereal is replacing ur BM so dont worry.

Ultimately its your decision, dont let anyone make u feel bad for what you decide..because thats how i felt and then realised that hes my son and i followed what my DR told me and hes happy and thriving so im not gonna worry about it...good luck!!
    Actaully the cereal/solid baby is getting/would get IS replacing BM. Anytime baby takes in anything other than BM its replacing it.

But - you're correct in that everyone should do what works best for them.

And since the original question was was what do we think, as a colloective... I'll answer that too - I'd wait until he could ist up well on his own and could feed himself. I'll spare you all the details but I waited until 6 mo+ because I didn't find any value to the solids.

I like what this section of the linked page says about solids and readiness.

I also like this page about solid readiness

(hope these links weren't dups other put up )
    Last edited by Number3; February 29th, 2008 at 06:49 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Wouldn't it be replacing it only if the nursing decreases? Clayton always nurses like crazy. He is a true boob man. LOL
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

No tar and feathers here, mom. Justs and . (Insert peace sign here)It's not always easy to tell what the exact tone is of people's comments. Most mommas are here to share their experience. Opinions are sometimes sought and given. It's all good! I keep thinking about that line: Watch the baby, not the calendar. As much trouble as I see on this forum of moms dealing with their babies' constipation when they start solids (especially with cereal) I don't understand what the rush is aside from adorable Kodak moments.
    Last edited by mommamags; February 29th, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I forgot to mention that I started solids too early, at 4 months. Then a few months later I read a bunch of studies for my schoolwork (I'm studying to be an IBCLC) and realized that the EBF-for-6-full-months group came out on top health-wise every single time. And so I came to regret my decision, which was made basically out of boredom with our old routine, a desire for those goopy pea-face high chair shots, and a secret wild desperate hope that it would in fact improve her night sleep in spite of everything I heard to the contrary...

At any rate I'm a little aggravated that my pedi didn't have up-to-date information to give me when he gave the green light. But is that really a surprise? I swear everything they know is based on FF babies. Mothers way back when HAD to start solids early (like we're talking at 2 weeks ) because the artificial milks were often quite deficient. And the practice seems to want to stick.

So anyway, I'd have to tar and feather myself first. And as much as I hate these grimy old sweatpants it hasn't come to that...yet!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

my son is still nursing as much as before the solids..at this age theyre a complement to bm not a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Google316 View Post
    ...there are absolutely no benefits to introducing solids to a breastfed baby early...
    Exactly!!

The question for US shouldn't be "why wait?" The question for YOU (OP or anyone considering early intro to solids) should be "why?" There really isn't any good reason, that I can think of, anyway.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by dashboardangel View Post
    I was chatting with my DCP today and we were talking about when they could start introducing solids at the DC (which is 4 months). She said something that had actually been on my mind the past couple of days, that DS might already be ready for solids.

DS turned 3 months old yesterday but is exhibiting many of the signs I've read regarding whether or not your baby is ready for solids. He:

1. Has been sitting well with support since 2 months.
    2. Has curiosity about what I am eating.
    3. Has had strong head control almost since he was born.
    4. Makes chewing motions.
    5. Was almost 14 pounds 2 weeks ago (he was 8lbs, 8oz at birth)

He only eats breast milk now, either expressed or straight from the tap. But in the mornings, he seems a lot hungrier than in the afternoons. He'll nurse at 5:30 a.m. and eat a 4 1/2oz bottle at 8:00 or 8:30, then another one by 10. He's ready to nurse again at 12, will be satisfied until 3 or 3:30 and then want to eat by 5:30 p.m. The DCP says that he exhibits many hunger signs within an hour or hour and a half of his morning bottles.

So, I would like some opinions as to whether or not I should maybe introduce cereal every so often during the weekdays, after nursing him of course. What do you all think?
    Do you know that their are 38 something immunities in breastmilk and once you introduce solids it destroys 14 of them? ( don't quote me on the numbers but something like that) Preserve that full immunity as long as you can!!!! Solids create ecoli in the digestive tract which destroys some of those immunities.. and by the way.. eating every 2 hours or so is TOTALLY normal for a breastfed baby.. my 9 month old nibbles on solids 2-4 times a day AND still nurses every 1.5-2 hours ALL day long! Its normal!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmommy View Post
    my son is still nursing as much as before the solids..at this age theyre a complement to bm not a replacement.
    There is no way to guarantee this. A baby will eat, whether it's BM or solids, until they are full. So, if you add something new into the mix, then by default they must take in less of what they were eating before. They are not going to eat more just because you decided to offer something new. They are only going to eat more when they need more than they were getting before. That's the beauty of BF; that LO can just increase demand and supply will go up. And the it's the same in reverse, if baby needs less. Solids don't work the same way.

And how old is your son? You don't say. How long ago did you intro solids? How do you know he's getting the same amount of milk? And even if he were getting the same amount as before, don't you think if the solids weren't introduced that he would be getting MORE milk now than before? Otherwise, he would be getting extra calories that he doesn't need, right?
    Last edited by healthymama; March 1st, 2008 at 01:45 PM.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.