Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting solids BEFORE 4 months?

Default Starting solids BEFORE 4 months?

I was chatting with my DCP today and we were talking about when they could start introducing solids at the DC (which is 4 months). She said something that had actually been on my mind the past couple of days, that DS might already be ready for solids.

DS turned 3 months old yesterday but is exhibiting many of the signs I've read regarding whether or not your baby is ready for solids. He:

1. Has been sitting well with support since 2 months.
    2. Has curiosity about what I am eating.
    3. Has had strong head control almost since he was born.
    4. Makes chewing motions.
    5. Was almost 14 pounds 2 weeks ago (he was 8lbs, 8oz at birth)

He only eats breast milk now, either expressed or straight from the tap. But in the mornings, he seems a lot hungrier than in the afternoons. He'll nurse at 5:30 a.m. and eat a 4 1/2oz bottle at 8:00 or 8:30, then another one by 10. He's ready to nurse again at 12, will be satisfied until 3 or 3:30 and then want to eat by 5:30 p.m. The DCP says that he exhibits many hunger signs within an hour or hour and a half of his morning bottles.

So, I would like some opinions as to whether or not I should maybe introduce cereal every so often during the weekdays, after nursing him of course. What do you all think?
    Mom to Ricky, born 11/28/07, 8lbs 8.5oz
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

in the morning, @ work and again @ night!

to

Default Re: Starting solids BEFORE 4 months?

Personally, I would wait til 6 months. The signs you mentioned are pretty common for a lot of 4 month olds. You do want your child to be able to sit up on his own, not with support for eating, from what I understand. At this age imitation is huge. It doesn't mean that he is hungry because he is copying you chewing, drinking from an empty cup, or even putting things in his mouth. If you want to involve him in mealtime you could offer a spoon and bowl and let him play with the utensils and imitate you and the family.

You want to be sure his digestive system is ready to handle the solids, and more often than not, that occurs around 6 months.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Signs of readiness: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    Benefits of waiting: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

I would wait till 6 months (at least). 3 months is way too young.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Not to mention, anything except breastmilk poop is Savour the sweet-smelling poo while you have the chance
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Contrary to many beliefs on this forum, we started Rice Cereal at around 3 months and he has done great. It was what worked for us. Too each his own. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

mumma2thumper .. how'd you know your DS was ready for cereal then?
    Mom to Ricky, born 11/28/07, 8lbs 8.5oz
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

in the morning, @ work and again @ night!

to

I started my son on cereals at just before 4 months because he was showing many of the same signs your LO is showing..and he did very well on it,.i started him on veggies a lil bit before 5 months and he has loved them..My DR told me cereal at 4 mnoths veggies at 5 meat at 6 and fruits at 7...a lot of the new guidelines though say to wait until 6 months. i actually had the same question you did and got much of the same response(shoulda waited) but you know what, its your son youre the mom, if you think hes ready then hes ready, and its not like the cereal is replacing ur BM so dont worry. Ultimately its your decision, dont let anyone make u feel bad for what you decide..because thats how i felt and then realised that hes my son and i followed what my DR told me and hes happy and thriving so im not gonna worry about it...good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Personally, I would wait til 6 months. The signs you mentioned are pretty common for a lot of 4 month olds. You do want your child to be able to sit up on his own, not with support for eating, from what I understand. At this age imitation is huge. It doesn't mean that he is hungry because he is copying you chewing, drinking from an empty cup, or even putting things in his mouth. If you want to involve him in mealtime you could offer a spoon and bowl and let him play with the utensils and imitate you and the family.

You want to be sure his digestive system is ready to handle the solids, and more often than not, that occurs around 6 months.
    Have you looked into baby led solids at all? there are a bunch of bls threads floating around here. just put a search for "baby led solids" in the search function. We started bls around 5-5.5 months, Ds has never had pureed baby food and only infant cereal one or two times.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

What's the rush? Has the dr. given a reason TO begin solids now for health reasons?

Babies at that age-and for some time after-associate nursing with satisfying hunger, not cereal or other solids. IMO, there's no need. Even when babies are older than yours is right now and they take in several tablespoons of solids per day, they still get the majority of nutrients and calories from bm.

What are the benefits of doing it at this point?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Here are my thoughts:

How a baby behaves says nothing of whether or not their intestines are ready for solid food. And if their intestines aren't ready (they almost certainly aren't before 6 months) you run the risk of allergies and increased illness. The intestines are a majorly important site for the baby's immune system. Tax them in any way and overall health can suffer.

Babies who are exclusively breastfed for 6 full months enjoy the lowest risk of illness and disease across the board, and throughout childhood. And there are absolutely no benefits to introducing solids to a breastfed baby early. They don't help growth (actually they can hurt it), they don't improve sleep (but again can actually make it worse.) The best you can hope is that nothing will happen from jumping the gun. More than likely, constipation, mess and hassle will be the result. But in some cases, the baby will get sick and even end up with allergies. Why take the risk, for what?

In a nutshell early solids = all risk, zero potential benefit. It's each mother's choice, but it really doesn't get any clearer than that!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.