Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids at daycare

Default solids at daycare

Are there any moms out there who work outside the home?

I do and my DD is in a great daycare. I'm thinking about starting solids more regularly - we've just been doing it every few days so far, mostly because we don't have much time in the evenings.

I'm considering having the daycare offer her solids at some point during the day. have any of you done this? At what age did you start? I'm thinking about having them do it 30-60 minutes after a feeding... that's good, right? What about the mess? (She really likes to "help" and gets whatever she's eating EVERYWHERE! )

Any other advice?

Should I just stick to doing this at home for now?

Default Re: solids at daycare

We did baby led solids (basically skip purees and go directly to baby self feeding finger foods).

I didn't send solids to day care with DS until he was about 9.5 mo old and I was confident that he was doing well with self feeding.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I did not do baby led solids at daycare with Lainey until she was closer to 10-11 months. We did do purees at daycare and did baby led at home. I might do it differently with the next one, though . We started at 6 months with purees. We usually gave it directly after the bottle (if we waited too long it would be too close to the next bottle). We actually gave more solids at daycare than at home because I preferred she nurse when we were together.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post
    I did not do baby led solids at daycare with Lainey until she was closer to 10-11 months. We did do purees at daycare and did baby led at home. I might do it differently with the next one, though . We started at 6 months with purees. We usually gave it directly after the bottle (if we waited too long it would be too close to the next bottle). We actually gave more solids at daycare than at home because I preferred she nurse when we were together.
    I do the same. We actually just started this(he is 6 months). He eats lunch at daycare and nurses while at home. Seems to work well for us. I have on occasion fed him solids at home but not much, I was too scared that it would affect my supply.

DD is 7 months and the sitter does breakfast and we do dinner at home. When she started on solids it was just dinner. I felt more comfortable introducing new foods at home where I could watch for allergy, plus I didn't want to miss out on the precious faces she made at the first taste of something new. Once we started her on breakfast (a few weeks ago) we just sent the sitter fruits that she had already tried. I am finding by doing breakfast instead of lunch, she returns home from the sitter eager to BF because she's not full from lunch.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

DS1 went to daycare M-F... I did new foods on Saturdays so I could watch for allergies over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    We did baby led solids (basically skip purees and go directly to baby self feeding finger foods).

I didn't send solids to day care with DS until he was about 9.5 mo old and I was confident that he was doing well with self feeding.
    we started dc just recently at 9 mos. and he's been eating these foods for awhile so i am confident he'll do ok. but i will say, he is still messy. that i don't worry about.