Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough wet diapers. . .Any ideas?

Question Not enough wet diapers. . .Any ideas?

My almost 11 mo old for the past few days doesn't seem to have enough wet diapers. He nurses 5-6 times a day, eats solids 3 times and I try to offer a sippy cup of water here and there (he's learning). I can't nurse him more often because he only eats well when he is really hungry these days as he is so easily distracted. He is on the small side at 18+ LBs. I am worried about dehydration. BTW I live in the desert too so I worry more!!!

Anyone have any experience or ideas on how I can check? He seems happy otherwise. . .

Thanks.
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

Default Re: Not enough wet diapers. . .Any ideas?

When you say "doesn't seem to have enough" how many does he have?

Do you have cloth diapers around you can pin on him? What about letting him go nakey for a few hours here and there to see what is coming out?

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

The only way to increase output is to increase input. Keep offering those sippy cups of fluids, and offer nursing whenever you can. Even a few sips here and there will help.

If he's really distractible, heading into a quiet, dim room may help get a good feeding in.

I haven't really counted but it just seems like less. For example before on the first diaper change in the AM it used to be soaked. This morning for example, I nursed and gave solids in about an hours time, then went to change him and still not wet --from last night. If I had to pick a number though I would say we are probably down to 3-4 wets/day.

I don't have cloth diapers.

The distractible little monkey is already fed in a dark quiet room .

Should I be really concerned? I am wondering because for some reason it occurred to me this morning that could it be a sign of UTI? Otherwise I will try to nurse more but just want to make sure medically.
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

I'm not thinking its too much cause for concern but as I always say a worried mama warrants a call to the doc Just as their poop patterns change around 1 month old, their urine output changes too. As the control of their bladder changes... but call the doc and see what they have to say if you are concerned. But I'd let him run around naked on and off for a day to see what happens
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks so much. I will try that!! I think I will actually keep a log over the weekend and then compare. . .Thanks again!!!

When my DD was sick my ped said to watch their mouth. If their mouth is dry then that is a sign of dehydration. Also, if you pinch the skin on the back of the hand (try it on yourself; it doesn't hurt) and it does not immediately go back then that is also a sign.

I would offer lots of fluids and nurse. It is possible his patterns are changing or the diaper just does not feel as wet but is actually getting wet. It never hurts to call the ped, though, if you have doubts. Good luck.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

also - pops... you can make healthy fruit pops and that helps increase their fluid intake too - lots of water in fruit

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Nora started wetting less diapers around 13 months. I think she was learning to hold it- I'm thinking she had the same amount coming out, but didn't pee as frequently. I dunno if this might be the case with your lo as well, but just a thought.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks so much LLLadies. All very good suggestions.

Much appreciated!!!