Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible for a 1 month old??

Default Re: Is it possible for a 1 month old??

She lost 1.5 lbs in 3 days wow - that doesn't seem right? - was that on the same scale each time?

Was she born premie - ?? I only ask because it seems that she was being seen/weighed quite often.

SInce she's getting weighed so much - can they weigh her before a nursing, then weigh her after?

Have you considered/looked into reflux? Babies suffering from reflux do not like being flat.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    She lost 1.5 lbs in 3 days wow - that doesn't seem right? - was that on the same scale each time?
    She weighed 6lbs 1oz when d/c from the hospital on Wednesday. She was extremely cranky Wed night, I had a nervous breakdown into Thurs morning...called pedi 1st appt was that Friday in which she weighed the 2.16kg. That was on the pediatrician's scale, previous weight was on the hospital scale. Pediatrician was so concerned he had me feed her an entire 2oz bottle of formula right then & there (I had only been supplementing with 15ml of formula at that point). He said if she had not eaten the formula, he was going to hospitalize her. We had already been having bf issues while in the hospital, but apparantly they were worse than I thought. The LC at the hospital told me to supplement her with 10ml of formula, but when she was so very very cranky, we upped it to 15ml. That particular LC is also the person who indicated I may have issues with milk supply due to PCOS. Pedi was appalled that it was only 15ml of formula. He called the LC and read her the riot act.

Was she born premie - ?? I only ask because it seems that she was being seen/weighed quite often.

She was born via scheduled c-section at 38wks6days. She still had to be removed with forceps.

SInce she's getting weighed so much - can they weigh her before a nursing, then weigh her after?

Honestly, I don't have much confidence inthe nurse who does the weighing. She told me that 7.89lbs was 7lbs 1 oz and not 7lbs 12oz. We are looking into finding another pediatrician, but our insurance is so very rare that it is difficult at best. I am awaiting an answer from a different office as I type this.

Have you considered/looked into reflux? Babies suffering from reflux do not like being flat.

Haven't looked into reflux at all. Will do that now.

Thanks,
    Fay

I don't know much about your feeding issues, but my 6 week old went through a screaming stage too (until about a week ago!)... she would only be happy if being held. She slept many nights in the swing! She also had to be swaddled at all times. When she was particularly unhappy, we swaddled her, put her in the swing and put the swing in the bathroom with the fan running. She just needed the white noise to put her to sleep! She seems to be growing out of this stage now and has even slept in her bassinet the past few nights! Good luck! Hang in there, it will get better!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My LO did the same thing. It was so difficult - I can totally relate. "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears has a section with the different stages of development and I remember reading that in the 2nd month (which, if your LO is four weeks old, he/she is entering), babies cry when put down. I don't remember doing it but in chicken scratch handwriting, clearly done at 3am or so, I wrote "no kidding!" next to it.

I couldn't believe it because my LO would be SOUND ASLEEP and I would gently place her in her bassinet and then she would start crying.

I would definitely check out the other possibilities the previous posters have mentioned but honestly, it might just be a stage of development.

Good luck to you!

Here are a few tricks we've assembled over the past 13 weeks. Early on we noticed a "too sleepy to eat, too hungry to sleep" cycle that can develop with her. Once we addressed both, she flourished!

1. We're a BIG fan of Happiest Baby techniques.

2. We swaddle. We find that with it, DD digests better, sleeps better and even focuses better if she's being a distracted eater. Now we usually only swaddle at night for bedtime, but if she's having a hard time napping we will do so for naps, too.

3. The shop vac is a miracle worker for settling her down. She can go from crying hysterically to eyes shut, half-asleep in 5 minutes. If all else fails, we go for the shop vac.

4. She generally naps well in the swing for 1 hour and more.
    Sometimes she needs the shop vac, sometimes not..

5. For putting her down to sleep at night, we makes sure the blankie she sleeps with is toasty warm. The trick is to sit on the blankie while holding her then wrap her in it when putting down. Now she is warm AND smells mom/dad.

6. Sometimes the feeling of dropping suddenly can startle baby awake. Lowering very gradually or getting on knees and putting baby down reduces that falling feeling.

7. The sound of a fan or white noise helps keep her sleeping.

Hope this helps!