Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible for a 1 month old??

Default Is it possible for a 1 month old??

Hi ladies,

Our darling Faith does not want to sleep anywhere but in our arms. We put her in the crib, in the bassinett, on the blow up air mattress (with us), etc. Every time we put her down, she screams. The only time she doesn't scream is when we're holding her. We hold her until she's in a deep sleep, then put her down & she screams immediately.

Is it possible for a 1 month old???? This just started in the last day or two.

She is still on an every 2 to 2.5 hour feeding schedule (formula and pumped breast milk) per her pedi, and now she doesn't want to sleep in between feedings. She is very cranky, I think because she is overtired....which makes mom & dad cranky because they are overtired.

Any insight??

Thanks.

Fay

Default Re: Is it possible for a 1 month old??

could it be she likes the movement? have you tried putting her down in the swing or bouncy seat? my lo slept in the swing for a couple months because it was the only place that worked other then our arms! just a thought! or have you tried co-sleeping?
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Also, can you just let her feed on demand? Scheduling in someone so little can be detrimental...maybe she is till hungry in between feedings? Also you said breastmilk and formula? Formula on average take at least 4hours to digest...is it possible she has an upset stomach? Sorry! Those are the two things that come to my mind right away....
    Can you tell us a little bit more about how you feed? Is it formula and Breatmilk at every feed? Or are you alternating?

Way too lazy for formula

Do you have a baby carrier of some kind? A ring sling or wrap? Having one of those can make it possible for someone to hold baby yet still accomlish something else around the house..

Have the sleeping issues just recently started? If so, has anything changed - new laundry detergent, new schedule around the house (guests, work schedule, a move), your diet or meds, the brand of formula?

Many infants have a growth spurt around 6wks of age, where they are much hungrier than they were just a day or two before. Could it be that she's having a growth spurt, and is hungry, yet is still getting the same amount?

I highly recommend renting or buying the DVD --not the book The Happiest Baby On The Block. Sometimes the library has it as well. This was a huge help to me. I am sure others would agree. The hands on demonstrations are wonderful. The first night I watched it and learned how to really swaddle my son, he slept for 6 hrs. This had NEVER happened prior to this!!!!! I also now have a white noise machine that does wonders!!! (19$) HTH
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

My baby was that way too. It took us forever to get her to sleep anywhere but our arms. Sometimes the swing would help. We actually started co-sleeping because she slept so much better when she was around us (or was nursing!). There is a lot of info on here on co-sleeping if you are interested in trying that. Dr. Sears (askdrsears.com) also has some great info on safe co-sleeping.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you giving formula and pumped bm instead of nursing? Maybe there is an issue there we can assist you with. That may also be affecting her sleep. When she is held in your arms she is warm and comfortable and it is easy to sleep. When she is somewhere else it is easier to focus on other things. Maybe she wants to nurse. Is she having any tummy problems (gas or something)? Sometimes that will affect their ability to sleep well. If that is the case, we may be able to give you some suggestions on that as well.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I had this same issue, but was able to get my lo to sleep in bassinet next to our bed when he is swaddled, falling asleep with paci with ocean waves cd playing on repeat (he actually prefers this to co-sleeping...go figure!) before this he was in our arms, swing or carseat when sleeping. now when I put him in bassinet I rock him and sit with him before hand.

Thanks for the suggestions....however....

1. we have a Baby Bjorn, but it says not to use until she's 8lbs - she's not there yet

2. She lost 2lbs when nursing, so the doctor put her on the every 2 - 2.5 hour feeding schedule with formula

3. The LC and the pedi think my PCOS is causing low milk supply. They have upped my medication & we are waiting for that adjustment to see if it increases my milk supply.

4. I am already pumping every 1-2 hours for 15-30 min each session

5. I was advised not to cosleep because I am "obese" and have "pendulous breasts" and my husband has sleep apnea

I am sleep deprived (which I'm sure is not helping my milk supply) and don't feel like I can do anything else...there aren't enough minutes in between each pump session.

My husband is a disabled vet and has not been taking care of himself properly because he is trying to do as much as possible so I can focus on pumping & sleeping. So, now, I worry about him too.

I don't really have a "support" system here that can come help out. I have 1 friend in the area and she has 2 children of her own (one of which is giving her a tee-total fit). She also did not bf either of her kids, so doesn't understand why I'm beating myself up so much about it. Since my husband is a disabled vet, finances are extremely tight & we cannot afford to pay a LC to come to the house (we are still paying off $18,000 of IVF debt).

Did I mention I work from home and was supposed to start working again this past Monday??

Our LO rolled onto her back twice today during tummy time!! I know it was not the "real" rolling over and was actually due to her kicking - but still!! We are excited - she is only 24 days old!!

Thanks for letting me vent

Fay
    mommy to Faith 24 days old
    born 2/4/08 6lbs 8oz
    2/5/08 6lbs 1oz
    2/8/2008 2.16kg (4lbs 12oz) yikes!
    2/11/2008 2.86kg
    2/15/2008 2.92kg
    2/18/2008 3.13kg
    2/25/2008 3.54kg

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I can relate. I had been on the road with musicians for 10 years and thought I knew what tired was. HAH. That was obviously pre-baby. It sounds like you are trying very hard and that you are pushing yourself to the limit. Try and maybe nap with your LO --in the bassinet next to you. If you don't have at least some rest you will have a harder time. BF at this stage is a FULL TIME job. Everything else that you can get by without doing can wait. The household chores can definitely wait. You ARE doing great. Remind yourself of that and take it minute by minute. Good luck.
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

When I said Wrap or sling....I was thinking of something more flexible and flexible than a Bijorn. Could you look at a Moby or a New native? Something that keeps your new born with you, close to you. Feeling your heartbeat and smelling you while keeping you hands free to do something else? Even when she hits 8lbs the Bijorn might not be that carrier.
    I understand that you are following "Doctors Orders" with the feeding schedule. I am just a little confused by it as it takes an infant around 4hours to digest formula. So I am a little concerned by the suggestion to feed every 2-2.5 hours. You may want to do some independent research on that. I am concerned she may have an upset tummy. I would try laying her at an angle so she is never flat because that may be part of the problem.

Way too lazy for formula