Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to tell breast is emptied?

Default How to tell breast is emptied?

I'm concerned that my baby is not getting my hindmilk, so I squeeze my nipples to check after he pulls of the nipple. If I can't get a single drop, I assume that the breast is empty, then I will switch him to the other breast. If I can get 1 or 2 drops, I will let him latch on to the same breast again. Am I doing it right???

Default Re: How to tell breast is emptied?

Well, the breast is never really and truly empty, because it is always making more milk. Whether milk comes out when you squeeze your nipple probably has more to do with how recently you've had a letdown of milk.

You say that you are concerned that your baby isn't getting hindmilk. Can you say more about that?

--Rebecca

It is true that the breast is never empty, however, towards the end of a feeding there is considerably less, usually when the breast is "emptied" the baby will pull off then you should try offering the other side. There is nothing wrong with offering the same side, the baby will always get something, but baby letting go after nursing for a while is usually a good indication that he got what he needed from that side. HTH a little.

Kristi

oh, initially I fed him 15min on each side. Only after 3 wks did I figure out my baby was so gassy because of all the foremilk he got. So now that I'm following the "finish the 1st breast 1st" rule, I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
    So if my baby pulls off one breast after he gets enough from that, does that mean I can expect him to be full after he feeds from both breasts, ie. latch on twice??? Sometimes I have to latch him on 3, 4 times in one feeding (may or may not be same breast) before he appears to be satisfied, is this normal?
    Sorry if the questions sound silly. I'm a 1st time mother and I decided to total breastfeed without realising how difficult it can be, so now I'm trying to do my homework.

They're not silly questions! Breastfeeding is a learned art, and even the moms who read books and take classes still have a lot to learn about actually DOING breastfeeding.

If you've been limiting him to 15 minutes per side, then for now try just letting him nurse until he comes off the breast contented or dozes off while nursing. Then burp him, change his diaper to wake him up a bit, and offer the 2nd breast. He may or may not take it. Start the next feeding on that 2nd breast.

Latching him several times per feeding is not unusual. He may let go before he's really done eating, for any number of reasons. You'll develop a sense as time goes on for when he's done versus just taking a breather. He'll also get better at letting you know what he needs, as he gets older. So just hang in there.

If the foremilk problem continues after a few days of this, let us know -- there are other steps you can take if this doesn't do the trick.

--Rebecca

Thanks for the encouragement, Rebecca!
    I guess I'm a bit too anxious......have to keep telling myself breastfeeding is not an exact science, can't expect baby to behave exactly the same way at every feeding.....