Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok to give small amount of water?

Default Ok to give small amount of water?

Can I give my 5-month-old a small amount of water in a cup ... so she is not spilling EBM while learning to use a cup? If so, do I just use tap water?

Thanks!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Default Re: Ok to give small amount of water?

http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/fit6.asp

I don't use tap water with my small ones because we live in a realy old house.
    They get bottled water.

I started giving a little water at 4 mths just to help with constipation. You have to be sure that weight gain is not an issue. My lo is huge so we never had that problem. She never had more than an ounce or two.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

She's been at 75% for weight, so that's not an issue. I guess I will get bottled water because we, too, live in an old home. I want to give it to her to practice drinking from a cup more than anything. Thanks!!

Still breastfeeding !

and !

It may take her a while to master a cup. My son was over 11 months before he could pick up his sippy cup, tilt it up and suck water from it. Just wanted to let you know so you don't worry if she isn't making a lot of progress...
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I thought water before 6months was a No No? Off to read andrea's Link!
    ETA: I couldn't read that because I didn't want to sign up...Andrea do you know? I thought it was dangerous for EBF babies to have water before 6months....Eme? Anyone?
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; February 27th, 2008 at 10:18 PM.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I thought water before 6months was a No No? Off to read andrea's Link!
    ETA: I couldn't read that because I didn't want to sign up...Andrea do you know? I thought it was dangerous for EBF babies to have water before 6months....Eme? Anyone?
    To bypass the sign up scroll down to see "No Newsletter, take me to the article"

At this age, water is not necessary, but also not harmful. In other words: yes, it’s fine to give him sips. Starting solids doesn’t mean you have to start water, although it can help treat the constipation that might result from the solids. A common mistake that parents make is to give extra water on a hot day in lieu of breastmilk. This can lead to electrolyte imbalances in a young baby.
    From Dr Jim Sears.

We didn't start offering water until he was eating solids. I didn't see a reason for it. Too much water can definately be dangerous because it fills baby up on something that isn't breastmilk and leaves less room for breastmilk I believe.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Well that was weird! It cam straight up that time..... OH well I guess sip are OK!

Way too lazy for formula

We gave DS a sippy of water around 5 months at mealtimes. It make him feel like he was part of the action and he mostly just played with the cup. He didn't master drinking out of it until closer to 7 months.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyN View Post
    We gave DS a sippy of water around 5 months at mealtimes. It make him feel like he was part of the action and he mostly just played with the cup. He didn't master drinking out of it until closer to 7 months.
    Yeah, I thought trying the cup would be a good way to involve DD with meals without starting solids early. We hold her on our laps when we eat, but she acts like she wants to do something more active. I don't really like the idea of giving her water, but don't know if I want her spilling a lot of EBM either. If I do give water, anyone know if should I use "nursery" water or some other kind of bottled water? I also have some questions about sippy cups ... I guess I should start another thread ...

Still breastfeeding !

and !