Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: gasy boy...plz help

Default gasy boy...plz help

I am exclusively nursing. It seems that about 20 min after i nurse, he is just plagued by tummy aches and gas. Is there a good list out there of what is best to avoid food wise. I thought i was avoiding most but apparently not. He is just a miserable boy after he eats and it breaks my heart. any help would be great!

Default Re: gasy boy...plz help

babies have a tendency to be a bit gassy. even if you eat all the right stuff! have you tried helping your lo pass gas? i had to help my guy!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen777 View Post
    babies have a tendency to be a bit gassy. even if you eat all the right stuff! have you tried helping your lo pass gas? i had to help my guy!

There are few techniques you can use to help him with gas, like giving him gripe water prior to feeding him or massagin his tummy...cant remmeber all of it...type gassy baby or colicy baby in the search area and you will find LOTS of threads about ti with many good suggestions, hope it helps.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

i have the same trouble with my little guy - haven't found the perfect solution yet, but I do a couple of things that seem to help. I give him gas drops before a feeding so they have time to work through when the gas hits. I keep him upright (he is NOT a good burper) after a feeding, and I massage his belly clockwise. At night, I give him a baby massage before his bath and bedtime. One thing that helps him pass gas are "belly smooshes". He's on his back, and you take his legs, one at a time or both, and you smoosh his knees gently into his belly over and over, or hold them there. After several times of this, he will start farting! Hope this helps.
    --Drea--

personally, I have to completely avoid garlic, which sends my dd over the edge. But other than that, she's still gassy. I thought about trying to eliminate foods, but it seems she's gassy no matter what I eat. So, I use baby gas-x drops (same as mylicon, a little cheaper), and bicycling her legs or putting her on her tummy which sometimes helps her get her gas out.

Even if you avoided every gassy food ... your LO might still be gassy. Some babies are just that way. Follow the advice from all the pp. As the digestive track matures, you will probably notice less, and less fussiness because of the gas.

Good luck.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.