Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9 months old and in 5th percentile for weight

Default Re: 9 months old and in 5th percentile for weight

Quote Originally Posted by syn_ack89 View Post
    SOMEONE has to be 5% because that is it works. If there were no 5% then there would be no 95%. Just like there are adults who are 5'2" and 6'2". People vary in size.

Well said!

DS was 16 lbs at 6 months-- 3rd % for weight and 35th$ for height. I was worried, of course, but pedi wasn't. He said to maybe add in some fats like egg yolk or high-fat yogurt. But he also pointed out that he might not be "a big, beefy kid." My mother also reminded me that I was tiny as well-- 17 lbs at a year.

If your child is meeting milestones, is otherwise healthy DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE CHARTS!

Yes, true as well! I think behaviors and activity level are the best ways to judge development.

I sometimes wish the charts were not available because they cause so much angst.
    Oh, me too!

I've also been worry, worry, worrying because of those charts - and I only just realized that with a birthweight of 7lb 12oz my lo was still below "average"! I read that these charts were devised in Ohio between the 1930's and 1970's - perhaps (probably) they are based on an unrepresentative group of overweight formula fed babies. Since everyone agrees that breastfed and formula fed babies grow differently - why can't professionals in this field just redo the charts - why are we still using a system from half a century ago which obviously is flawed? It would be interesting to know what the average percentiles are for BF babies on this forum - I never seem to read here about 95th percentile babies. Maybe babies in the 95th percentile are all formula fed...........

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Read My Child Won't Eat! [/url]
    I second that. at my ds's 12 mo well baby he was in the 2% for weight. he is perfect in every way. if someone is at 98% then someone has to be at 2%, KWIM? One thing that you will get from reading MCWE is that breast milk is a living tissue that is constantly changing to meet your child's needs, not just between feeds, but during feeds as well. If your baby has had RSV, then she needs BM more than ever to keep her immune system strong. Before the pedi. appt. were you worried about her? If not then she is fine, I truly believe that as moms, we know when something is not right with our LOs. I know how you feel, and I hope that our responses have made you feel more assured...trust your gut and do what you KNOW is best for your LO.

Quote Originally Posted by syn_ack89 View Post
    My LO was 5% at 9mos and I didn't worry at all. SOMEONE has to be 5% because that is it works. If there were no 5% then there would be no 95%. Just like there are adults who are 5'2" and 6'2". People vary in size.

If your child is meeting milestones, is otherwise healthy DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE CHARTS!

I sometimes wish the charts were not available because they cause so much angst.
    Exactly.

Someone else suggested redoing the charts - well, they have! Of course the peds don't use them usually. My ped, who is pretty crunchy, says she just gets them out if/when there looks to be a problem based on the "regular" one.

Anyway, here they are, plus excellent info from kellymom, of course: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I've also been worry, worry, worrying because of those charts - and I only just realized that with a birthweight of 7lb 12oz my lo was still below "average"! I read that these charts were devised in Ohio between the 1930's and 1970's - perhaps (probably) they are based on an unrepresentative group of overweight formula fed babies. Since everyone agrees that breastfed and formula fed babies grow differently - why can't professionals in this field just redo the charts - why are we still using a system from half a century ago which obviously is flawed? It would be interesting to know what the average percentiles are for BF babies on this forum - I never seem to read here about 95th percentile babies. Maybe babies in the 95th percentile are all formula fed...........
    Birth weight is not indicative of future growth patterns or final stature.

You never read about the 95th %ile babes because we don't worry about them, generally. For some reason, even in the midst of obesity running rampant, including in children, we have been trained to believe that big babies = healthy babies. And while this may be true most of the time, really average babies = healthy babies, and small babies = healthy babies most of the time as well. But, ff babies grow in an unnatural pattern, and comparing bf babies to that pattern is just plain dangerous, unhealthy, and dumb.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

i would totally agree to go with your instinks, i know its hard im dealing with the weight chart crap right now with dd who is 18mo and 20lb 6oz and has been in the 5% since she was 9mo (and she didnt just drop there she gradually fell adn has been there consistently since 9mo). its encouragin to know others deal with this crap as well. my pedi suggested tests if she falls off the charts, which dh adn i are not doing, she is hitting milestones before suggested and is a very smart and healthy kido. the one thing i have tried doing , which others suggested, is trying to give her more high calorie healthy food, the big thing im trying not to do is stress about it, but its sooo hard. good luck!
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

That happened to Colton, my younger, around 9 months. He'd been a big baby but as he became more and more mobile, his weight dropped off as he burned more and more calories, until he had lost some weight by the time he hit his 9 month checkup and was in about the 5th percentile for weight (like 90% for height though). It surprised me, as his older brother was off the charts the other way in that he was always tall and big.

Fortunately, I have a great ped who said as long as he'd gained something by his next checkup, to not worry. He gained like an ounce by 12 months, and so we haven't sweated it. He's just lean

I boosted nutrition when I could by offering foods with a little more fat, like avocados and stuff like that. And I started going back to nap-nursing when I could instead of nursing him to sleep and then getting up myself. I would get the older one to do something quiet and then lay there with the baby and nurse whenever he stirred. I could sneak in some good nursing time that way.

I would NOT do Pediasure. First off, it is NOT intended AT ALL for a baby under 12 months, and I'm bothered that your ped even suggested it. If anything, he could have suggested formula, which is designed for a baby <12 months (but I don't think you need it). Pediasure is made with cow's milk. And soybean oil . I'd find a different alternative to offer in a cup. . . like some expressed milk.

Hang in there mama. You aren't alone. Your baby sounds like she's doing just fine.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

DD was only 16 lbs. 7 oz. at her 9 mo. appointment....Doc. wasn't concerned and neither am I. She is petite.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

If it is any consolation, my 11 month old (DD5) only weighs 15 pounds 15 ounces, to be in the same percentile for her height she should weigh about 19 pounds. The Dr hasn't said a word. My oldest consistantly ran 95% for height and 15% for weight and now is 5 foot 2 inches and 130 pounds at age 17. DD2 and 3 ran 75 % for height and 25% for weight and now are 5' 6" and 120 at age 15 and 5' 5" and 115 at age 13. DD4 ran 75% for height and 25% for weight and at 3 is still there. If your LO seem healthy and lively I wouldn't worry too much about fattening her up, it hasn't seemed to make a difference in long term weight/height with my kids.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

Your lo is fine!!!! Seriously- if you read these boards you will see this all the time... Look at your child. If she is meeting milestones and seems content after feedings and her hair and nails are growing she is fine!!!!!! Your milk doesn't just stop providing for you baby. My dd was only 16 lbs at 9 months... my dh is also 5'6 and 140 lbs ( a petite french canadian) Children will grow as their genes tell them too. Instead of the pediasure I would give some expressed breastmilk ( wAYYYYYY healthier) and probably has more fat too) I know my 14 m old likes to drink mama milk out of a cup because she can carry it around and play and drink as she pleases. I agree that nursing more and offering less solids might help but you seem to be nursing a good deal anyways. Just keep at it and don't look at weight. Look at the baby!!!!
    My dd is still tiny tiny.. and definately shorter than anyone elses kids but doing just fine. A few things I do for extra fat ( dd doesn't like avacado's)
    Flax seed oil in applsauce, vegan butter or olive oil on all veggies and rice. Extra butter on bread and or pasta etc....and lots of breastmilk still at 14 m old. Don't doubt your milk mama!!! Its amazing stuff

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!