Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9 months old and in 5th percentile for weight

Default Re: 9 months old and in 5th percentile for weight

Read My Child Won't Eat! Growth patterns are more reflective of genetics than nutrition. If anything will put on weight faster, MORE nursing and LESS solids will. Your ped needs to look up his facts on kellymom.com You are doing fine!! Don't let his ignorance stop you from nursing your baby! http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

What strikes me most about your post is that your baby is in the 5th percentile for weight and the 10th for height. Her height and her weight percentiles match very closely- in other words, she's proportional! I wouldn't worry- especially since your daughter is now mobile and burning lots of calories and was recently sick- or change what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by NursieNurse View Post
    I have a few things for you. First off, the statement I found on the Pediasure web page. Your daughter is too young for Pediasure!!! This stuff is supposed to be for toddlers and older who aren't growing/thriving. They also have a formulation for kids who are tube fed. It's for sick kids, not your kid.

"PediaSure and NutriPals products are not intended for infants under 1 year of age. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, infants under a year old should be breastfed or fed an iron-fortified infant formula." (quoted from Pediasure's website)

It makes me a little nervous that your ped would recommend this formula to your baby. It's not an infant formula, but it's still a "formula" based on cow's milk.
    My Pediatrician didn't want me to "replace" my nursing sessions with Pediasure. He suggested the drink to give her a extra boost of extra calories; with her meals or snack. I have thought about pulling back out my pump and giving her EBM in her cup. I haven't pumped in months and I have no idea how much I could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1
    What strikes me most about your post is that your baby is in the 5th percentile for weight and the 10th for height. Her height and her weight percentiles match very closely- in other words, she's proportional!
    She is proportional! On my huband's side of the family, almost everyone is teeny tiny. My husband is only 5'6 and 140 pounds. He's a toothpick. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not conerned that she's small. She's always been tiny. She was only 17 1/2 inches long and 6 pounds 6 ounces at birth.

She eats solids three times a day with a mid afternoon snack. I nurse her right when she wakes up in the morning, then she'll eat whole grain oatmeal with 4 oz. fruit for breakfast, then we'll nurse right before her morning nap, then after she wakes up, we'll nurse again, then she'll eat a 4 oz. veggie for lunch, then she'll nurse before her second nap, nurse when she wakes up, then we'll have a mid afternoon snack, nurse right before dinner and a 4 oz. meat dinner for dinner and nurse before bed time.

I should nurse more and do solids less... do I cut out a meal or just cut back on how many ounces of solids she eats? Her doctor asked if I was feeding her solids until she was full and didn't want anymore.

SAHM to Ali born on Memorial Day, May 28, 2007
    3 weeks early and weighed 6 pounds 6 ounces
    Ali weighs 17 pounds 10 ounces at 12.5 months old

I think your doctor is confusing you more than he is helping. I would 1) nurse before offering solids 2) offer only fatty, nutrient-dense solids (more meats and fats, less grains and fruit/veggies), and probably 3) find a new ped

Partial ingredient list for Pediasure vanilla: water, sugar, corn maltodextrin, milk protein concentrate (contains MSG), high oleic safflower oil, soy oil, whey protein concentrate (MSG again), medium chain triglycerides; less than .5% of: soy protein isolate (MSG), natural and artificial flavors , cellulose gel, dextrose, potassium, citrate, magnesium phosphate, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, potassium phosphate etc, etc...
    Last edited by healthymama; February 28th, 2008 at 09:30 PM.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    What strikes me most about your post is that your baby is in the 5th percentile for weight and the 10th for height. Her height and her weight percentiles match very closely- in other words, she's proportional! I wouldn't worry- especially since your daughter is now mobile and burning lots of calories and was recently sick- or change what you're doing.
    This is what I was going to say also. My dd is 23lbs and she is 2 1/2 years old. She was in the third percentile at one point (I think 15 months). But, mostly she has been in the 5th. The doctor always said that because her height was 10th and her weight usually around 5th, that she was proportioned...which was good.

You know, some kids live to eat...and others eat to live. It sounds like you have a LO who just takes what she needs. Wait until she is a toddler...sometimes my dh and I can't believe how little this girl can eat. And other days, she eats a ton! It is so bizarre...but she is healthy!

I wouldn't worry to much...I am sure everything is just fine with your baby. And ESPECIALLY because she is meeting her milestones.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Quote Originally Posted by eireann_83 View Post
    I should nurse more and do solids less... do I cut out a meal or just cut back on how many ounces of solids she eats?
    It sounds like you have a pretty good schedule already- it looks like you already nurse before feeding solids, so that should help. When she is done nursing how does she let you know? Could you maybe offer the breast again when she pulls off the first time, just to see if she'll nurse a bit more? I know this doesn't always work, my lo will get mad at me if I keep offering after she's decided she's finished. She would often want to nurse immediately after meals as well to wash it down- do you ever offer to nurse right after solids? That might help get a few more calories in if she'll do it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My LO is alot younger than yours only 8 weeks old but I have several friends and nieces and nephews about your LO age and only one was BF. When she went in for her 1 yr check up she was to in the 5% for weight, according to her mom the DR never recommended formula just more fatty solids as some of the other mothers have mentioned. I'm not sure if this helps just passing along the info.

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    When she is done nursing how does she let you know? Could you maybe offer the breast again when she pulls off the first time, just to see if she'll nurse a bit more? I know this doesn't always work, my lo will get mad at me if I keep offering after she's decided she's finished. She would often want to nurse immediately after meals as well to wash it down- do you ever offer to nurse right after solids? That might help get a few more calories in if she'll do it.
    Ali pops off the breast and when I do offer the breast again.. she doesn't want it. Typically, she'll have one let down and she's finished. Normally with her meals, I'll give her water in a sippie cup. I'll start nursing her after her meals (if she'll let me) to get those extra calories in. I'll start doing that today and see how she does.

I'll keep you posted!

SAHM to Ali born on Memorial Day, May 28, 2007
    3 weeks early and weighed 6 pounds 6 ounces
    Ali weighs 17 pounds 10 ounces at 12.5 months old

I totally agree with PPs. My almost 11 mo old is also in the 5th % at 18 Lbs -ish, he looks just fine to me. My ped also thought he was too small and encouraged me to start offering dairy products and now I am dealing with possible allergies. Go with your instinct and nurse as much as you are able. I think you are doing a wonderful job for the simple fact that you are seeking counsel from other moms. BTW sometimes I do put a tablespoon of oatmeal in his fruit and its fine. He also started loving avocados so I try to give him those heartier solids --not necessarily more volume. I wish I could say not to worry but I think it comes with motherhood. Take comfort though in knowing you are not alone and your baby sounds very healthy.
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by eireann_83 View Post
    I'm heartbroken to know that I've come this far of nursing and I'm not giving her enough nutrients for adequate weight gain.
    My LO was 5% at 9mos and I didn't worry at all. SOMEONE has to be 5% because that is it works. If there were no 5% then there would be no 95%. Just like there are adults who are 5'2" and 6'2". People vary in size.

If your child is meeting milestones, is otherwise healthy DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE CHARTS!

I sometimes wish the charts were not available because they cause so much angst.
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user