Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9 months old and in 5th percentile for weight

Unhappy 9 months old and in 5th percentile for weight

My LO, Ali just turned 9 months old and we went for her for her 9 month well baby check up this morning. She weighs 15 pounds and is in the 5th percentile for her weight and her doctor is concerned. I took her to the doctor about 2 weeks ago and she's lost about 4 ounces since then.

She is currently eating solids 3 times a day, with a mid afternoon snack. She eats anywhere from 4-6 ounces of solid food at a meal. I'm still nursing about 4-5 times throughout the whole day and she will have one let down and doesn't want anymore. The doctor recommened that I give her Pediasure a couple of times a day for the extra calories. She's meeting all of her milestones and is healthy otherwise. She's in the 10th percentile for her height; being 26 1/2 inches tall too.

I'm heartbroken to know that I've come this far of nursing and I'm not giving her enough nutrients for adequate weight gain.

With the nursing, eating solids I have no idea how she's going to want to drink the Pediasure. Has anyone gone through this and might have some advice?

SAHM to Ali born on Memorial Day, May 28, 2007
    3 weeks early and weighed 6 pounds 6 ounces
    Ali weighs 17 pounds 10 ounces at 12.5 months old

Default Re: 9 months old and in 5th percentile for weight

My LO was 16.5 lbs at his 8 month check-up....which was only in the 10-15 percentile...my pedi wasnt concerned..and IM sure you will hear that from others who will respond to your thread. When I take him in to his 9 mo checkup, Im curious to know his weight and what his pedi will say.

I also feel the same way as you about "not giving your LO enough nutrients".
    Also, my LO only drinks with 1 letdown...then he doesn't want anymore. Most of the time, he wont nurse for longer than 5 minutes. Maybe we have LO's who arent huge eaters...i dont know.

But keep nursing, thats what I keep telling myself.

Proud mother of our beautiful little angel in heaven (19 weeks on 1/19/2007)

Proud mother of Jadon Eli born 6/26/07 (a TTTS survivor) My joy and miracle baby

[

I don't think there is any reason for you to be concerned.

First of all, the charts most doctors use are based on the weights of formula fed infants, so they are skewed toward heavier children. Breastfed babies have a much wider range of 'normal' than formula fed babies, and therefore should be guaged on a different chart. The WHO has a chart for breastfed babies that you can check yourself. Here is a link to the WHO infant weight-for-age chart for girls:
    http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html

Second, your child is within the normal range even for formula fed babies. She is on the small end, but it is still normal. The only concern should be if she was a higher percentile previously and suddenly dropped to 5th %ile recently. Do you know what her %ile was at her last visit? Even if it has dropped, it is common for that to happen when a child starts being mobile- crawling or walking, so if something like that is going on, it could explain a sudden drop.

My daughter has been small since birth. Many of the women here have smaller babies and it's really nothing to worry about. She has stayed right around 5th %ile (which equated to about 15th %ile on the WHO charts) for weight and her pediatrician has never been concerned. Did your doctor express any other reasons for his/her concern?

Please don't feel like you've failed or aren't meeting your child's needs just because she is small. I'm sorry I don't have any advice for getting her to drink pediasure- I tried to give it to my daughter when she had a stomach virus and I never could get her to drink it. Maybe you could just try to encourage her to breastfeed more frequently or for longer stretches of time.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm so sorry you're worried. It's understandable; having the doctor get all freaked out and tell you to give her Pediasure was probably very discouraging to you. But, I totally agree with the pp's. Has she recently become more mobile? A few women I know have had their babies lose a small amount of weight between months 6 and 9 and their pedis chocked it up to increased activity. I also have a few more thoughts...

Are you nursing right before all her meals still? Has anyone mentioned that sometimes if you back off on the solids a little it might help baby's weight gain? Most solids have fewer calories and nutrients than breastmilk. There's a chart on this page that explains amounts of solids by age, and also lists some reasons to nurse before feeding a solids meal. Just a thought!

There are also more ideas on ways to increase baby's weight gain on this page. If you could get baby to nurse more maybe that might help! It definitely can't hurt. Also one great alternative they list there is to use your own milk as a supplement-- just pump after each nursing session and offer that to baby. Maybe ask your doctor if you could use that in place of other liquids.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

If I'm reading that chart correctly, plus kellymom.com has the same chart, she's in between the 3-15% on their chart. At her 6 month well baby check up, she weighed 13'10 and was between the 10th and 15th percentile for her weight. She's been crawling since the New Year and the weight loss just seemed to happend recently. She had a form of RSV in the middle of January and she was just 2 ounces shy of 15 pounds then. I had to take her to the doctor 2 weeks ago for a rash and she was 15'4 and now 15 pounds.

It seems she's always had slow weight/height gain. I don't mind that she's a petite baby; it gives her character. I'm just concerned that she's not getting what she needs from my milk anymore. I stressed to the doctor that I don't want to give her formula and I wonder if that's why he chose the Pediasure first. She has to go back in a month for another weight check.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahsmama View Post
    Are you nursing right before all her meals still? Has anyone mentioned that sometimes if you back off on the solids a little it might help baby's weight gain? Most solids have fewer calories and nutrients than breastmilk. There's a chart on this page that explains amounts of solids by age, and also lists some reasons to nurse before feeding a solids meal. Just a thought!

There are also more ideas on ways to increase baby's weight gain on this page. If you could get baby to nurse more maybe that might help! It definitely can't hurt. Also one great alternative they list there is to use your own milk as a supplement-- just pump after each nursing session and offer that to baby. Maybe ask your doctor if you could use that in place of other liquids.

I am nursing right before meals, 98% of the time. I'll nurse her and about 30 minutes later, she's ready for her solids. It seems that the breastmilk doesn't keep her satisfied for very long anyway.

I have a few things for you. First off, the statement I found on the Pediasure web page. Your daughter is too young for Pediasure!!! This stuff is supposed to be for toddlers and older who aren't growing/thriving. They also have a formulation for kids who are tube fed. It's for sick kids, not your kid.

"PediaSure and NutriPals products are not intended for infants under 1 year of age. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, infants under a year old should be breastfed or fed an iron-fortified infant formula." (quoted from Pediasure's website)

It makes me a little nervous that your ped would recommend this formula to your baby. It's not an infant formula, but it's still a "formula" based on cow's milk.

Also, your baby may be in the 5th %ile for weight, but it sounds like she is growing and thriving otherwise. She's meeting milestones, doing new things, happy. That's very important. Kids who aren't thriving due to nutritional deficiencies don't meet milestones, don't look "healthy", etc.

She was sick. Give her some time to catch up, then to recover the weight she burned up with the RSV. That's a nasty bug, and it can take some time to come back from it. While she's trying to put a little weight back on, I'd keep BF'ing before solids like you're doing. Solids are something for her to learn about slowly right now, breastmilk should still be the majority of her nutrition. Does she get a sippy cup of fluids with her "meals"? If so, put some EBM in it. It's at least 20 calories per ounce and full of good stuff, unlike water or juice.

I would trust your instincts. It sounds like you feel she is a healthy, thriving, growing girl. You know her better than the ped does. If you want her to get extra calories, make sure everything that goes into her mouth counts. High fat solids like avocado, plenty of breast milk, etc. Then you can keep an eye on her growth, but don't obsess over it (like any mom can stop obsessing!!).

Hope this helps.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by NursieNurse View Post
    I have a few things for you. First off, the statement I found on the Pediasure web page. Your daughter is too young for Pediasure!!! This stuff is supposed to be for toddlers and older who aren't growing/thriving. They also have a formulation for kids who are tube fed. It's for sick kids, not your kid.

"PediaSure and NutriPals products are not intended for infants under 1 year of age. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, infants under a year old should be breastfed or fed an iron-fortified infant formula." (quoted from Pediasure's website)

It makes me a little nervous that your ped would recommend this formula to your baby. It's not an infant formula, but it's still a "formula" based on cow's milk.

Also, your baby may be in the 5th %ile for weight, but it sounds like she is growing and thriving otherwise. She's meeting milestones, doing new things, happy. That's very important. Kids who aren't thriving due to nutritional deficiencies don't meet milestones, don't look "healthy", etc.

She was sick. Give her some time to catch up, then to recover the weight she burned up with the RSV. That's a nasty bug, and it can take some time to come back from it. While she's trying to put a little weight back on, I'd keep BF'ing before solids like you're doing. Solids are something for her to learn about slowly right now, breastmilk should still be the majority of her nutrition. Does she get a sippy cup of fluids with her "meals"? If so, put some EBM in it. It's at least 20 calories per ounce and full of good stuff, unlike water or juice.

I would trust your instincts. It sounds like you feel she is a healthy, thriving, growing girl. You know her better than the ped does. If you want her to get extra calories, make sure everything that goes into her mouth counts. High fat solids like avocado, plenty of breast milk, etc. Then you can keep an eye on her growth, but don't obsess over it (like any mom can stop obsessing!!).

Hope this helps.
    totally agree!!! RIght on!!!! Keep nursing!! She sounds fine to me!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

One of my boys was at the 3rd percentile at his 9 month, and recently at his 15 month appt, he dropped off the charts. At birth, he was 4 lbs 11oz. Their Pedi has NEVER been concerned about their weight.
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02
    Ronin and Ryker 10/9/2006

My little guy is also 9 months and he isn't even on the charts. He gradually fell right off. He started at the 50% and at 5 months he started dropping. I was told to feed him fattier foods, but it was never suggested to me to supplement him with any kind of formula. The chart is a curve and someone has to be on the bottom of it right.

I have a friend in my playgroup who's LO is also 9 months and he weighs less than my LO. The Dr. suggested that she put a scoop of organic formula in the baby's fruit to give it more calories. I don't know if that is a good idea or not, I'm just passing on the info.

Good Luck, and welcome to the club!