Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't take solids much anymore? Help!

Default Won't take solids much anymore? Help!

My son (who is 6m old today!) was EBF for the first four and a half months of life...he only had/tried a bottle a couple of times, with limited success.

I went back to work when he was 4 1/2 months and he had problems taking a bottle. We tried different kinds and finally tried Born Free sippy training cups (I really want to use the BPA free ones). We wasted so much money on different bottles!

Anyway, he barely drinks from the cups (anywhere from 1oz to 4oz during the eight hours I'm away from him).

I had wanted to wait until 6m to start solids, but we ended up starting him at 5m1w because we hoped it would be a way to get some susentance into him during his daycare hours. Plus he had the readiness signs...

At first he totally gobbled down the rice cereal (no nutritional value, I know, but at least it was a way to sneak in another ounce or two of breastmilk) and he did the same with avocado the next week.

Then he got sick for the first time. He stopped eating the cereal at daycare and we had zero luck with solids at home.

Now he's back to occasionally taking the solids at daycare, but he is still picky about the solids at home (avocado, banana, yams).

I don't know what to do. I don't know how to progress. I don't like introducing new foods during the week because it's mid afternoon by the time we get home...he's ravenous and I'm desperate to nurse him, and then it's too late in the day to introduce a new solid (in the event of an allergic reaction). I don't think he's ready for two meals of solids yet either.

Sorry this is convoluted...but if anyone has any ideas or at least reassurance that he won't starve himself... ? The daycare people keep saying I should bring in jars of regular solids (yams or avocado or bananas), but I don't know if he's ready for that... Oh, we've been making our own baby food too. Thanks for any tips, advice or support!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Won't take solids much anymore? Help!

When my son was 7 mo, he got a cold and wanted nothing to do with the solids I was offering, even snubbed bf'ing some too.

Babies under a year still get the majority of calories and nutrients from bm. When ds was 6 mo, and even today as a 9 mo, we nursed first, then offered solids. There's really no rush for solids at this point, unless the doc says so.

Drinking from the cup/bottle just takes practice and patience.

How are his diapers? That sounds like such a little amount to be taking in during your workday... He could just be taking in the new surroundings and adjusting.
    Last edited by mommamags; February 28th, 2008 at 04:52 PM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Thanks for the reply!

His diaper count is decent and he has usually 1-3 BMs a day. He seems to make up for eating when I pick him up and his energy level is okay. But it stresses me out.

It helps to know that it's okay to go slow on solids. I just wish he'd eat more mostly because of the daycare issue.

Going slow on solids is very important. Read "My Child Won't Eat!"

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

This is TOTALLY normal, it sounds like your getting pressure from daycare to rush into the solids. You know your baby best, and can set the approach to solids that you feel comfortable with.

It's very normal to have "setbacks" with eating, one day they love a food the next day they won't touch it. If everything is looking good (diaper output, weight, milestones - and it sounds like they are) then you can assure yourself that the amount he is taking in is good! Have you thought about letting him self-feed with foods you've introduced? He may be more willing to feed himself than to have someone spoon it to him.

How is he nursing while you are at home and at night? Many babies reverse cycle and get plenty of milk while with mom and really don't need a large amount of milk during the day - they use time away from mom as their night!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Your replies are all so helpful. I do think he has been reverse cycling. Plus we co-sleep so there's an all-night buffet if he is so inclined. I just worry... He has his 6m appointment on Tuesday, so we'll see if he's reaching okay milestones.

Self-feeding...that might be interesting (if messy). He does like to play with a spare spoon. The thing is that I make his "solids" very runny (more breast milk than anything) since he's new to them. Not sure how much would stay on the spoon!

Healthymama, thanks for the book advice! I agree...I don't want to rush solids anyway!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.