Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can you breastfeed and bottlefeed?

Default can you breastfeed and bottlefeed?

Does anyone know anything about feeding a baby a combination of formula and breastmilk?

Default Re: can you breastfeed and bottlefeed?

I've given my daughter formula a couple of times. The trick is to not feed your child the bottle the first couple of times, but have someone, like your DH, do it instad. Also, finding the right nipple is key. I find that the Playtex nurser is the best for my daughter as it is soft and more closely resembles the breast.

You don't want to introduce a bottle until about 6 weeks though because it could cause confusion.

HTH!

It is possible.

Some mothers who work outside the home use formula instead of expressing breastmilk, and breastfeed when home with baby. Other mothers who have problems producing enough milk (due to past surgery, for example) find that combination feeding works for them. And some mothers who have difficulty pumping have used formula supplements when they have to be away from baby.

Any mother who is considering combination feeding should look at her breastfeeding goals. Does she hope to nurse exclusively? Or does she hope to partially wean and feed formula? Does she want to offer a bottle of formula occassionally (as opposed to pumping)? Knowing the answers to these questions will help with making the decision.

Mothers considering combination feeding might consider asking their doctor which formula to use, and introduce supplements gradually and in the home setting to test for reaction.

I have breastfed her exclusively for 8 1/2 months and I'd like to bottle feed her occasionally instead of breastfeeding. I've had my husband try to bottle feed her once a day for a couple of days but she refuses. She was fed formula a couple of times a few months earlier and also bottlefed breastmilk for about 2 months after I had her due to a horrible mastitis infection that landed my in the emergency room with a temperature of 104...
    Now, she absolutely refuses to take the bottle but I will keep trying.

Why don't you try EBM or formula in a sippy cup instead of a bottle? My boys almost always refuse bottles even at the sitter so we use sippy cups. They are still getting used to it but are not refusing to drink.

Also, the combination of EBM/formula can be done in one bottle/sippy cup but I was told that if your baby doesn't finish it they you would be wasting the little BM you had in it. If you feed your baby the BM first then the formula you know she is getting all of it. And if she doesn't finish the formula it's not a big deal.

I hope that helps.

My boys are 8 1/2 months too.

I just wanted to mention this because I have not seen it mentioned yet and for the benefit of other's reading this thread.

While breastfeeding and bottlefeeding formula are certainly "do-able", you really have to manage it well. Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand -- take away the demand and the supply will lessen accordingly. And sometimes the more the supply lessens, the more formula a mother gives. The more formula she gives, the more her supply lessens even more. I also think that if a parent chooses to do both, they really need to understand the differences between the two (breast and bottle) and that just because baby guzzles down 3 oz. of formula after an hour-long nursing session doesn't necessarily indicate that baby is still hungry or that mom has a supply problem. There are a lot of factor's to consider when using both breast and formula.

During the times that you offer a bottle of formula, you should pump your breasts to stimulate them & mimick a nursing session. Ideally, anyhow. If it's just the occasional bottle of formula then that's probably not necessary.
    Last edited by LLLCarol; January 31st, 2006 at 11:27 AM.

I just thought I would mention one of the disadvantages that we ran into while breastfeeding and bottlefeeding. I returned to work at about 4 months for 4 hours a day. My son was a feed every 45mins-2hours sort of guy so I pumped every morning before I left for work leaving him 8-12oz of milk as well as some frozed ebm. I loved knowing that he was still getting all of the benefits of breastmilk even though it wasn't directly from my breast. He easily took the bottle and about 2 weeks into my 4 week contract he stopped taking the breast. This scared me as I planned to nurse until he weaned and pumping and feeding him from a bottle wasn't exactly what I had in mind. It took us a long time to get a "normal" breastfeeding relationship back and I stopped with his bottle feeds immediately. We went through a 5 day nursing strike and it was the most stressful time of our nursing relationship. I know this certainly doesn't happen to every mom who breast/bottle feeds but I think it is important to know that it can. I also thought I would mention that if you do decide to bottlefeed as well as breastfeed it is more beneficial to pump and give your breastmilk to your babe in a bottle than to give formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Leche83
    I have breastfed her exclusively for 8 1/2 months and I'd like to bottle feed her occasionally instead of breastfeeding. I've had my husband try to bottle feed her once a day for a couple of days but she refuses. She was fed formula a couple of times a few months earlier and also bottlefed breastmilk for about 2 months after I had her due to a horrible mastitis infection that landed my in the emergency room with a temperature of 104...
    Now, she absolutely refuses to take the bottle but I will keep trying.
    We tried giving the odd bottle of formula to our daughter from about 10 1/2 months, because my return to work was looming. She always refused, no matter what we did. I was very worried, because I could not pump enough. But then, the very first day she was home alone with Daddy, she took three bottles of formula.

Maybe some babies have a kind of sensor to tell them whether you are just trying things out or whether it is serious. Fingers crossed your daughter will take the bottle when really necessary.