Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Positions

Default Positions

I generally always breastfeed with pillows, my boppy when I'm at home, or borrowed pillows when I'm at family's homes.

My problem is that I absolutely SUCK at anything that doesn't involve a boppy! I can't do it with no pillows at all, not without being supremely uncomfortable. I usually wind up slinging the baby around, frustrating her, and if I do manage to get her latched properly, I'm uncomfortable as hell and she keeps popping off. That's not very conducive to nursing in public, something I Want to be be able to do (with a capital W!).

My question is how do you do it without pillows? Can anyone direct me to a good set of pictures that SHOW me the proper positioning? I just don't think I'm doing it right.

Default Re: Positions

I'm guessing your baby has head control and is a pretty good size?

You could find a place to sit that would allow you to raise your knee up (as if you had your foot on a stool). Your knee would act as your "pillow". Or you could find somewhere to sit on the floor with your legs crossed. Then nurse as you would normally.

P.S. Practice at home! Practice in front of a mirror, even.

It does get easier. Really!

And I do not know of any pictures off hand. There are pictures of nursing mothers/babies all over this site. I think the front page has some that might be an example of what I suggested.

here's a link with some pictures for the side-lyinhg position. I too have problems nursing upright without pillows. I think it will come with practice. Good luck to you! http://www.mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm

She definitely has great head control (amazingly so for a 2 1/2 month old!) and she weighs 12 lbs 14 ozs, and is 24 inches long. So yeah, she's a good size.

On the topic of positions...My 2 1/2 month old and I tried nursing in the laying down on my side position in bed. I may have dozed off, but by the time I realized what was going on, there was milk all over baby (even in her ear and down onto her chest), the sheet was even pretty soaked. I do not think that she ever came off of my breast, so her latch must have been bad. Does anyone have any suggestions for more control over the latch in this position? We usually nursing with a bobby and I support the weight of my breast with my hand.